Chocolate Cake for a Grown-Up Valentine's Day.
You can cook Chocolate Cake for a Grown-Up Valentine's Day using 18 ingredients and 15 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Chocolate Cake for a Grown-Up Valentine's Day
- It’s of For cocoa sponge (for a 28 x 28-cm baking tray).
- It’s 3 of Eggs.
- You need 60 grams of Granulated sugar.
- Prepare 60 grams of Plain flour.
- Prepare 20 grams of Cocoa powder.
- It’s 10 grams of Unsalted butter.
- You need of For chocolate cream:.
- Prepare 80 grams of Sweet chocolate for baking.
- It’s 250 ml of Double cream.
- You need 1 tbsp of Rum.
- You need of For syrup:.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of Granulated sugar.
- Prepare 6 tbsp of Water.
- You need 1 tbsp of Rum.
- It’s of For chocolate decoration:.
- You need 50 grams of Sweet chocolate for baking.
- You need 50 grams of White chocolate for baking.
- It’s 1 of Cocoa powder for dusting.
Chocolate Cake for a Grown-Up Valentine's Day step by step
- Make the sponge cake. Put the eggs in a bowl, beat and put the bowl over a bain-marie. Add the granulated sugar and stir well. When the mixture is warmed to about body temperature remove from the bain-marie..
- Whip until pale and fluffy with a hand mixer. When you hang the mixer and the mixture falls like a thick ribbon it's ready. Heat and melt the butter in a microwave. Pre-heat the oven to 190°C..
- Shift the dry ingredients into the bowl and fold in gently with a plastic spatula. Add the melted butter and stir until smooth..
- Pour the batter into a baking tray and flatten the surface. Bake at 190°C for 10 minutes. After baking, leave to cool and peel off the baking paper..
- Make the chocolate cream. Put the chopped chocolate into a bowl. Bring the cream to a boil quickly and add to the chocolate. Stir the mixture with a wooden spatula and melt the chocolate..
- After the mixture has cooled down add the rum and mix well. Place the mixture over another bowl filled with ice water, and whip up to stiffen. Chill in the fridge..
- Make the syrup. Put the granulated sugar and water in a small sauce pan and melt the sugar. After it's cooled down add the rum and leave to cool..
- Make the chocolate decoration. Chop the sweet and white chocolate and put them into separate bowls. Melt the chocolate over a bain-marie..
- Drizzle the melted white chocolate with a spoon onto baking paper. Do the same with the sweet chocolate..
- Mix both chocolates with a palate knife so as to make a ripple pattern. Let it sit in a cool place until set. After it's set, peel off the baking paper and roughly break up the set chocolate..
- Line a bowl with cling film and fill with a piece of sponge cake that's approximately the size of the mold. Brush the sponge with the syrup. Fill the cavity with plenty of chocolate cream and smooth out the surface..
- Do the same process until all the bowls are done and cover with sponge lids and cling film. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes to set..
- Place a plate over the bowl and turn over to remove the cake from the bowl. Peel off the cling film. Spread the rest of the chocolate cream on the cake surface and stick the broken chocolate pieces onto the sides..
- Sprinkle with cocoa powder through a tea strainer and you're done!!.
- It should look like this on the inside..