Green Sour Cream Chicken Enchilada Layers.
You can cook Green Sour Cream Chicken Enchilada Layers using 14 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Green Sour Cream Chicken Enchilada Layers
- You need 1.5 lbs of boneless skinless chicken breast.
- You need 1 tbs of chili powder.
- You need 1 tsp of salt.
- You need 1 tsp of garlic powder.
- It’s 1 tsp of ground cumin.
- You need 1/8-1/4 tsp of cayenne.
- Prepare 1 bunch of cilantro – tied with kitchen twine.
- Prepare of Enough water to cover chicken in pot.
- Prepare 2 (14 oz) of cans green enchilada sauce.
- You need 12 of small soft white corn tortillas.
- It’s 2 cups of shredded cheddar jack cheese.
- You need 2 tbs of unsalted butter.
- Prepare 2 tbs of flour.
- You need 3/4 cup of sour cream.
Green Sour Cream Chicken Enchilada Layers step by step
- Place chicken in a 2 quart sauce pan. Sprinkle with next 5 ingredients. Top with cilantro bundle. Add enough water to cover chicken by 1 inch. Cover. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat to medium low. Simmer 15-20 minutes..
- Drain chicken. Use 2 forks to carefully shred. Place shredded chicken in a bowl. Pour 3/4 of the first can of sauce over chicken. Stir to combine. Pour remaining 1/4 can of sauce in bottom of a 6×8 casserole (usually a 2 quart). Swirl to coat. Set both aside..
- Rinse sauce pan used to cook chicken. Place on stove over medium heat. Add butter. When melted wisk in flour for 1 minute. Wisk in second can of sauce until thickened..
- When sauce has thickened remove from heat. Let sit off heat for about 2 minutes to cool slightly. Wisk in sour cream..
- Assemble: arrange 4 tortillas on top of sauce in dish (they will be overlapping), arrange half the chicken evenly over tortillas, sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese over chicken, drizzle 1/3 of the sour cream sauce over cheese. Top with four more tortillas, second half of chicken another 1/2 cup of cheese and another 1/3 of the sauce. Finish with last 4 tortillas, then remaining sauce. Finally sprinkle evenly with last cup of cheese..
- Bake in a preheated 400° oven for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden. Let rest 5-10 minutes before serving. Cut into 6-8 pieces. Serve with Mexican inspired sides if desired. Enjoy!.