Spicy Sardines Grilled Rice. Fold banana leaves over to encase tuna sauce completely in rice, and secure each end with a toothpick. Do the same thing with the rest of the rice. Spicy Sardines Grilled Rice. #mycookbook I never liked canned sardines before.
Fold banana leaves over to encase tuna sauce completely in rice, and secure each end with a toothpick. Do the same thing with the rest of the rice. Here's a quick and simple recipe for making Caribbean style pan fried sardines. You can have Spicy Sardines Grilled Rice using 18 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Spicy Sardines Grilled Rice
- It’s 8 sheets of banana leaves.
- It’s of For the rice:.
- You need 3 cups of rice.
- You need 45 ml of instant coconut milk + water (according to the measurement of your rice).
- Prepare 3 of Indonesian bay leaves.
- It’s 2 stalks of lemongrass, pounded.
- You need 1/2 tsp of salt.
- It’s of For the filling:.
- Prepare 1 can (425 gr) of canned sardines.
- It’s 2 Tbsp of vegetable oil.
- It’s 10 cloves of shallots, thinly sliced.
- It’s 8 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced.
- It’s 8 of green chili peppers, diagonally sliced.
- It’s 5 of bird eye chili peppers, thinly sliced (optional).
- Prepare 100 gr of stinky beans, cut into 2 (optional).
- It’s leaves of some Thai basil.
- Prepare 1 tsp of salt or to taste.
- It’s 3 tsp of sugar or to taste.
Using a freshly made zesty marinade to infuse these lovely sardines with a ton of flavor, then we'll dust them in. If you've been around for a while you may have noticed that my versions of traditional recipes, like this one for locrio de pica-pica (Dominican rice and spicy sardines), are often modified to make them healthier, and sometimes some extra vegetables are included. There is a reason for that: I write the recipes the same way I cook at home. Cut small slits on one side of each sardine.
Spicy Sardines Grilled Rice instructions
- Mix all rice ingredients. Use a rice cooker to cook it. When cooking button is up, open the rice cooker lid and stir the rice well. Place the lid back and let the rice stay in the rice cooker for a while until it’s completely cooked..
- Heat vegetable oil in a pan over medium high heat. Sauté garlic and shallots until fragrant..
- Add green chili peppers and bird eye chili peppers. Mix well..
- Add sardines. Season with salt and sugar..
- Add stinky beans. Stir until the stinky beans half cooked. Remove from the heat. Set aside..
- Prepare 2 sheets banana leaves. Spread 1/8 part of rice out in an even layer on top of the banana leaves. Place 1/4 part of sardines mixture in the center of the rice. Add basil leaves to taste. Fold banana leaves over to encase tuna sauce completely in rice, and secure each end with a toothpick. Do the same thing with the rest of the rice..
- Heat the grill pan over medium high-heat. Place banana leaves wraps on the grill and grill until banana leaves browned and charred 10-15 minutes each side. Yum! 😋.
Rub the lemon and oil mixture all over the sardines, rubbing well into the slits and body cavity. Transfer the sardines to a large platter and season with salt. Place the fried sardines on paper towels and. The rice will taste good so long as the pan is hot and the grains of rice are separated and fluffy. In a dormitory setting, the challenge is with a limited budget, appliances, utensils, ingredients, and time.