Sweet and Sour Pork. Sweet and Sour Pork is an iconic Chinese recipe and classic Cantonese dish. Called "咕嚕肉" or "goo lou yok" in Cantonese dialect, this recipe is very pleasing to the palate because of the flavorsome sweet and sour sauce—the sweetness from sugar plus the tangy ketchup and sharp rice. Crispy and tender Sweet And Sour Pork tastier than takeout!
Its characteristic orange-red color comes from ketchup, which makes it especially appealing to kids and. Sweet and sour pork is arguably one of the most popular Chinese dishes in the United States, but as with most classic dishes, it's difficult to find a go-to The pork is coated and fried until crispy, with tons of nooks and crannies that catch the sweet and sour sauce. In a bowl, combine all marinade ingredients with the pork. You can have Sweet and Sour Pork using 26 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Sweet and Sour Pork
- You need of Pork shoulder / neck meat.
- Prepare of Marinade Ingredients.
- Prepare 4 tbsp of flour.
- You need 2 tbsp of corn flour.
- It’s 1 tsp of baking powder.
- You need 2 of eggs beaten.
- You need 1/2 tsp of salt.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of pepper.
- It’s of Toppings and Sauce.
- Prepare 1/2 of onion cut into small piece.
- Prepare 1 of green bell pepper.
- It’s 1 of red bell pepper.
- You need 1 of tomato dized.
- You need of Minced ginger.
- It’s of Minced garlic.
- It’s 2 stalks of spring onion.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of soy sauce.
- You need 1 tbsp of oyster sauce.
- You need 3 tbsp of tomato ketchup.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of vinegar / pineapple juice.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Shaoxing wine.
- It’s 1 tsp of plum sauce.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of sesame oil.
- It’s 1/2 cup of water.
- You need 2 tsp of brown sugar.
Place the corn flour in a large bowl and toss the marinated pork chunks until liberally coated. Serve my sweet-and-sour pork over hot rice, chow mein noodles or both. —Eleanor Dunbar, Peoria, Illinois. Sweet and sour pork [Chinese:酸甜咕噜肉][Cantonese: gu lou juk] is probably the most popular Chinese dish in US and in many places around the world. With its slightly sour and sweet taste and the fresh fruit flavor, it is mostly loved by people in American and also southern part of China.
Sweet and Sour Pork step by step
- Marinate pork shoulder with some pinch of salt and white pepper in a mixing bowl. Prepare crispy fry batter with all flour mixtures. Coat meat with a layer of flour and coat second layer with beaten egg and lastly coat anothet layer of flour. Fry the coated meat until golden brown and set aside..
- Stir fry minced garlic and ginger until aroma. Add in bell pepper, sitr fry a while and add in onions and add in wine and will cause some flame. Add in sauce mixture with 1/2 cup of water and let it boil. Add cornstarch solution to thicken sauce..
- Turn of the stove fire and immediately add in the meat and toss for a little to have the sauce coated lightly and serve..
I have asked some of the friends in the USA about what are their favorite Chinese dishes, I get mostly half of them choose Sweet and sour pork. This is a delicious recipe for sweet and sour pork with pineapple, a traditional Cantonese dish, and a favorite in both America and China. Add the pork back into the wok with all the vegetable and pineapple, along with the sweet and sour sauce and mix evenly. Sweet and sour pork doesn't need an introduction. It's an internationally famous dish and most cultures have a different spin on it, which I think is absolutely fantastic!