Kimchi, my simple version. How To Make Easy Kimchi at Home. Baechu, or napa cabbage, kimchi is made by lacto-fermentation, the same process that creates sauerkraut and traditional dill pickles. In the first stage, the cabbage is soaked in a salty brine that kills off harmful bacteria.
The kimchi recipe that I'm sharing today is my family's favourite version. It's chock full of fabulous pro-biotics (as most kimchi is) and the longer it ages (translation: ferments) the stronger it becomes in both flavour AND pro-biotic content. How spicy do you like your kimchi? You can cook Kimchi, my simple version using 7 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Kimchi, my simple version
- It’s 1 tsp of kosher salt.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of gochujang paste.
- Prepare 2 medium of jars 12 ounce each.
- You need 2 medium of paper towels or handkerchief.
- Prepare 4 large of rubber bands.
- It’s 1/2 cup of clean marbles.
- You need 5 cup of cabbage coarsely chopped.
That will determine how much red chili flake you put in your sauce. You can likely find more "authentic" Korean red chili flakes at a Korean or Asian market or on Amazon, but I just went with standard red pepper flakes you can get at most grocery stores and it turned out great!. It starts with one large Napa Cabbage. You'll need ginger, garlic, scallions and most importantly Korean Chili Flakes called Gochugaru.
Kimchi, my simple version step by step
- Mix the cabbage, gochujang paste, and salt. Work it all in well.
- Pack the mixture into the jars. Take a big piece of cabbage lay across the top of the mixture. Put marbles on top of the big piece of cabbage. To hold down the kimchi below the brine.
- The brine will be made naturally through the fermentation. If not enough make a salt brine of 1 cup water with 1 and a half teaspoons of kosher salt just add till kimchi is totally covered..
- Let sit after 5-7 days to taste if its your desired ripeness put into refrigerator, for a week or longer hope you enjoy. Will keep 3 months or longer in the refrigerator..
In this recipe, I use Korean Chili Flakes called "Gochugaru" vs. the Korean fermented Chili Paste called "Gochujang". Feel free to use Gochujang if you please or if. My version of Simple Kimchi uses commonly available ingredients. Kimchi is a staple Korean side dish that is often made from salted and fermented vegetables. This is a simple to follow recipe that doesn't require you to make a TON of kimchi.