Sweet-and-sour chicken. Sweet and Sour Chicken is a classic Chinese takeout option most of us are too afraid to make at home. Something about woks and cooking with pineapple make it intimidating for most, but it is so much easier to make than you would think. Of the classic Chinese Recipes that most people ask for.
This Sweet and Sour Chicken combines crispy chicken with chunks of onion, bell pepper and pineapple in a sticky homemade sauce. Ingredients for Sweet and Sour Chicken. Chicken – use boneless skinless chicken thighs for the best flavor, or chicken breasts for a lighter option. You can have Sweet-and-sour chicken using 15 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Sweet-and-sour chicken
- Prepare 1 1/2 lb of Chicken Breast, cut into chunks.
- You need 1 cup of Cornstarch.
- It’s 2 of Eggs, whisked.
- It’s 1 of Green Bell Pepper, roughly chopped.
- You need 1 of Yellow Onion, roughly chopped.
- Prepare 1 of Red Bell Pepper, roughly chopped.
- It’s of Frying Oil.
- Prepare of For the sauce.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of Water.
- You need 1/2 cup of Ketchup.
- It’s 1/3 cup of Rice Wine Vinegar.
- Prepare 1/2 Cup of Brown Sugar.
- You need 2 Tbsp of Granulated Sugar.
- Prepare 3 Tbsp of Soy Sauce.
- It’s 3 Cloves of Garlic, minced.
This healthy and crispy sweet and sour chicken recipe is so delicious with sweet and sour sauce! For the best sweet and sour chicken, please following my cooking tips below: The combination of plum sauce, Lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce and Chinese rice vinegar make the sauce tastes. Restaurant style sweet and sour chicken. You can also make this with pork or shrimp.
Sweet-and-sour chicken step by step
- Add some frying oil to a large cast Iron skillet and preheat until hot, meanwhile, preheat your oven to 325 degrees F..
- Dip your chicken pieces in the beaten eggs and dredge in the cornstarch making sure to shake off any excess bits and then add to the hot oil and fry until crispy on both sides, only takes about a minute, remove to a paper towel lined plate and set aside..
- Add the chicken, peppers and onions in a baking dish (make sure your baking dish isn’t too big or you’ll risk burning the sauce, the dish should hold everything nice and snug) then in a measuring cup or bowl whisk together all of the ingredients for the sauce and pour over the chicken and vegetables..
- Bake for about an hour, making sure you give it a stir every 15 to 20 minutes..
- NOTE: You can skip the oven method if you want your chicken really crispy, all you do is add the sauce to a clean large skillet and cook until the sauce thickens, then stir your chicken in at the last minute. (Plus it’s easier cleanup!) I used frozen peppers and onions it was out of season for peppers when I made this..
This takes some time in preparation but you can also use frozen chicken. Absolutely the best sweet and sour chicken recipe I've ever tried. My husband and I thought it was delicious. One comment about the directions: the amount of water to add to the chicken batter is a little hard to interperate. How to make sweet and sour chicken.