Refried Beans Vegetarian and Vegan. In a medium skillet over medium heat, add in the olive oil. I prefer to use pinto beans, but use any other type of beans you want. Spices are optional, feel free to add your favorite ones.
These refried beans are delicious and so easy to make. Plus, these beans are healthy, vegan and gluten free. Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. You can cook Refried Beans Vegetarian and Vegan using 9 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Refried Beans Vegetarian and Vegan
- You need of dried pinto beans.
- It’s of small onion, whole but peel this one.
- Prepare of garlic, whole don't peel these.
- It’s of Salt.
- Prepare of Another small onion, peel and rough chop this one.
- You need of more cloves garlic if small use 3, peel & coarsely chop these.
- Prepare of Good tasting vegetable oil that you like.
- It’s of Salt and pepper.
- Prepare of Water.
Stir in beans, tomato paste, chili powder and vegetable broth. Rinse beans under water and pick through, discarding any weird broken bean pieces or other debris. Whether you make simple refried bean burritos, or use them as a side dish to enchiladas, tofu tacos, cauliflower fajitas or vegan chik'n burritos, these instant pot refried beans are going to blow your mind!. Refried pinto beans are the most kid-friendly bean I know.
Refried Beans Vegetarian and Vegan step by step
- Soak beans in water to cover overnight. Drain and rinse well. Using fresh water and large pot, cover beans by at least 4 inches of water, bring to boil, add a Tb salt, 1 small onion (peeled but not cut), and 3 garlic cloves, unpeeled. Lower heat, cover, and cook beans until soft, about 90 mins – 2 hours. Drain beans and discard onion and garlic. Do not omit this step. You must remove it all..
- In bowl of lg food processor, add 1/2 of the beans, 2/3 cup water, second onion, & garlic cloves, 2 tsps salt & little pepper. Process to a thinnish pasty mixture. (Next batch will be thicker mixture). Put 1st batch in lg bowl, set aside..
- Second batch will be beans & water only. Put the rest of beans in processor, add 1/4 cup water and process until very thick mixture where you have a choice here to leave it a bit chunky to get a bite or add more water and process until smooth. 2 batches will have 2 different consistencies. Mix both together..
- Heat 2 Tbsps oil in very large skillet. Add beans, stir and cook beans about 15 mins, keep stirring, adding more water if needed to get correct consistency. Taste and adjust salt..
- Serve with anything you like. Tomatoes, diced onions, lettuce, cheddar, sour cream, salsa, chopped chives, olives, jalapenos, candied jalapenos, my new fave, etc..
For some reason, my kids can be resistant to eating whole beans, but they LOVE mushy beans. It's naturally gluten-free, vegetarian and can also be made vegan if you'd like. And most importantly, it tastes sooo much better than the canned stuff! Guys, it's time to ditch the canned stuff and start making homemade refried beans…for so many reasons! Be really careful when buying premade canned refried beans or ordering them at a restaurant, because refried beans often contain lard.