Mile high chocolate cake. Butter cake pans, then line bottom of each with a round of parchment paper and butter parchment. This pie is all about the slow reveal: It appears to be a simple chocolate mousse with a cookie crust. Cut into it, though, and guests will gasp at this triple layered (and flavored!) dessert.
The origin of the name is unknown, but its signature ingredients—mashed banana, pineapple, coconut and pecans—assure its continued popularity. Eight layers and a spoon-licking white chocolate-cream cheese frosting make this updated version more spectacular than the original. Mile High Pound Cake is most like the traditional pound cake than most other pound cakes that I've tested. You can cook Mile high chocolate cake using 21 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Mile high chocolate cake
- You need 5 ounces of fine-quality unsweetened chocolate, chopped.
- Prepare 2 1/4 sticks of unsalted butter, softened.
- Prepare 2 3/4 cups of sifted cake flour (not self-rising; sift before measuring).
- It’s 1/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch-process).
- Prepare 2 teaspoons of baking soda.
- You need 1 teaspoon of baking powder.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- It’s 4 of large eggs, at room temperature (30 minutes).
- It’s 1 cup of granulated sugar.
- Prepare 1 cup of packed light brown sugar.
- Prepare 1 1/2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract.
- Prepare 2 cups of sour cream.
- You need of For frosting:.
- It’s 1 cup of sugar.
- You need 6 tablespoons of all-purpose flour.
- It’s 6 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch-process).
- You need 1 1/2 cups of whole milk.
- It’s 4 ounces of fine-quality unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of pure vanilla extract.
- You need 6 sticks (1 1/2 pound) of unsalted butter, at room temperature.
- It’s of Equipment: 2 (8 by 2-inch) round cake pans.
I say this because traditional pound cakes used a pound of butter, a pound of sugar, a dozen eggs. It was developed before recipes were written and recorded and persevered time most likely because the ingredient ratios were easy to remember. Beat butter with an electric mixer until creamy, then add cooled chocolate mixture a little at a time, beating until frosting is fluffy and spreadable. Line bottom of each pan with parchment paper round; butter parchment.
Mile high chocolate cake step by step
- Make cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees with rack in middle. Butter cake pans, then line bottom of each with a round of parchment paper and butter parchment. Flour pans, knocking out excess. Melt chocolate with butter, then cool. Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt..
- Beat eggs, sugars, and vanilla in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until pale and thick, 3 to 5 minutes. At low speed, mix in melted chocolate until incorporated, then add flour mixture in 3 batches alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture and mixing until each addition is just incorporated. Spread batter evenly in pans several times on counter to eliminate air bubbles..
- Bake until cakes pull away from sides of pans and a wooden pick inserted in center of each comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes..
- Cool in pans on a rack 10 minutes, then run a knife around edges of pans. Invert onto racks and discard parchment, then cool completely, about 1 hour..
- Make frosting and assemble cake: Whisk together sugar, flour, cocoa powder, and a pinch of salt in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, then add milk and cook, whisking constantly, until mixture boils, and is smooth and thick, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in chocolate and vanilla until smooth. Transfer to a bowl to cool to room temperature, covering surface with parchment paper to prevent a skin from forming..
- Beat butter with an electric mixer until creamy, then add cooled chocolate mixture a little at a time, beating until frosting is fluffy and spreadable..
- Cut each cake layer horizontally into 2 layers with a long serrated knife. Put 1 layer on a cake stand or large plate and spread top with 1 1/4 cups frosting. Repeat with 2 more layers, then add remaining layer and spread top and sides of cake with remaining frosting..
- Cheat: if you wish: instead of making the frosting, use Duncan Hines Milk or Dark Chocolate Frosting. Enjoy!.
In a double boiler,* combine the chocolate, cocoa powder, and hot water, stirring until smooth. Tip the coffee ice cream into the bowl and smooth the surface. Sprinkle over the chopped pecans and freeze until the ice cream is firm, at least. Mile-High White Chocolate Hummingbird Cake Eight layers and a spoon-licking white chocolate-cream cheese frosting make this updated version more spectacular than the original. But it's easy as can be because of convenience products such as cake mix, instant pudding mix, and canned pineapple.