Taro Cake / Savory / Vegan recipe. Great recipe for Taro Cake / Savory / Vegan recipe. Back in my hometown, they serve this cake with dried shrimp. These Crispy Taro Fritters are actually inspired by the dish I like to get at Chinese restaurants: soft taro coated with crispy breadcrumbs before being deep-fried.
Savory turnip cake or radish cake is one of the famous dishes often served in dim sum houses. Always a favorite in Dim Sum, this is actually also a classic to make in Guangdong during the Chinese New Year. There's a few different methods to make Taro cake – the most common. You can have Taro Cake / Savory / Vegan recipe using 8 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Taro Cake / Savory / Vegan recipe
- You need 500 gr of frozen taro, thawed and diced.
- You need 2 tbsp of tapioca flour.
- It’s 1 tbsp of rice flour.
- You need 1 tbsp of garlic mince.
- You need 1 of lt water.
- You need 100 gr of preserved radish, rinsed.
- You need 100 ml of sweet soy sauce.
- Prepare 1 of shallot chopped.
Taro, or also known as kalo in Hawaiian, malanga in Cuban and yam in Malasyian is a potato look alike vegetable plant whose beginnings are considered to be in India (India has the best Taro recipes). It's grown in semi exotic areas, as well in exotic too, and because of it's similarity. Taro has purple speckles all over its flesh and it can be fried, boiled, roasted, simmered, mashed…made into savory or sweet dish. – Have you ever had this savory taro cake? Savory, steamed taro cake, richly flavored with mushrooms and pork.
Taro Cake / Savory / Vegan recipe instructions
- Fry chopped garlic and add diced taro, stir well, add water and flour, simmer for 15 mins till soft, set aside.
- Place into stainless steel container and steam for 15mins.
- For the topping, fry shallot and radish together, add sweet soy sauce and pepper.
- Serve the taro cake with topping.
Taro is a flavorful, starchy tuber similar to a sweet potato. The larger taro roots are sweeter but drier than the smaller roots. It's avilable in most supermarkets, but if you can't find it, use sweet potato or yam. This cake is a very popular New Year's treat. Heat the oil in wok over medium heat.