Stuffed Tomatoes. Baked Tomatoes Stuffed with Lamb and Fresh Herbs Image zoom Summer vegetables like eggplant and zucchini are terrific fillings for these Greek-inspired stuffed tomatoes. Tomatoes hollowed out and stuffed with canned tomatoes with green chile peppers, bread crumbs, cheese and smoked sausage. Substitute the fresh flesh of the tomatoes for the canned tomatoes with chiles, if you like.
Invert onto paper towels to drain. Spoon into tomatoes; sprinkle with parsley. Place tomatoes in a baking dish; cover tomatoes with aluminum foil to prevent over-browning of stuffing. You can have Stuffed Tomatoes using 16 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Stuffed Tomatoes
- Prepare 1/2 lb of ground beef.
- Prepare 1/2 of onion; diced.
- You need 1 stalk of celery; diced.
- You need 1/2 of carrot; diced.
- Prepare 3 of garlic cloves; diced.
- You need 4 of tomatoes preferably beefsteak tomatoes.
- You need 1 of bellpepper.
- Prepare 1 of Yukon gold potato; cut into wedges.
- Prepare 3/4 of ths cup short-grain rice.
- You need 1-2 tbsp of tomato paste.
- It’s 1 tbsp of sugar.
- Prepare 1 cup of chicken broth (water is fine).
- You need of Mint.
- Prepare of Parsley.
- It’s of Dill.
- Prepare of Feta cheese.
Sprinkle the cored and seeded tomatoes with salt and place upside down to drain. And as long as you don't eat too much, tomatoes on keto shouldn't knock you out of ketosis. I made these baked stuffed tomatoes with meat and cheese using hot house tomatoes grown at a local farm. And it was a great recipe to use up some ingredients I had on hand.
Stuffed Tomatoes step by step
- Cut the tops off the tomatoes and bell pepper. Keep them as they will be your lid. Excavate the tomato insides and set aside in a bowl..
- Sauté the onions and garlic until they reduce in size and turn slightly brown. Add in the celery and carrots and cook until reduced/browned. Adding salt helps!.
- Brown the ground beef until no longer pink. Add the sugar. More salt..
- Add the tomato paste and rice and sauté for 2 mins..
- Preheat oven to 370F..
- Pour in the tomato insides and 1 cup of chicken broth. Simmer for 10 mins. Taste, add more salt and pepper if needed..
- Before we stuff, mix in the parsley, mint, and dill..
- Fillerup! I put potato wedges in between the veggies. Drizzle olive oil and yes – salt & pepper! Pour in half cup of water to the pan..
- Cover lightly with foil and bake for 1 hr..
- Uncover and broil until slightly charred..
- Serve with feta cheese on top. Enjoy!.
The tomatoes were given to me from my husband's mother who lives near the farm. BEST stuffed tomatoes you will come across! This stuffed tomato recipe is prepared Greek-style with a hearty, flavor-packed stuffing mixture of ground meat, rice with onions, garlic, fragrant spices like cumin, oregano, and nutmeg, and fresh herbs. A generous drizzle of extra virgin olive oil helps these stuffed tomatoes as they bake to delicious, tender perfection. Using a small spoon, scoop out insides, then place tomatoes upside-down on a paper towel.