Spring Onion Soup. Working in batches, puree in a blender, starting on low speed and gradually increasing to high, blending until soup is smooth. Note that spring onions are sometimes also called salad onions – red or white, these are the same as spring onions. The onions are dry roasted under the broiler for a bit of char and depth, and then blended with tender potatoes, stock, white wine, and a few handfuls of greens.
When I make soups at home, we generally prefer pureed and slightly thick soups rather than thin clear soups. Here in this soup, apart from spring onions i have used one potato to thicken the soup. The soup is again made with minimal ingredients so as to bring out the best of spring onions. You can have Spring Onion Soup using 14 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Spring Onion Soup
- You need 1/4 cup of butter.
- It’s 1 TBS of olive oil.
- You need 1 of medium vidalia onion sliced thin (1 cup).
- Prepare 1 of Leek, sliced thin (1/2 cup).
- You need 1 bunch of green onions, sliced thin (1/2 cup).
- Prepare 2 cups of peas (fresh or frozen).
- It’s 4 cups of chicken broth.
- It’s 4 cups of water.
- Prepare 2 cup of small pasta (dry).
- You need 1 tsp of salt.
- It’s 1 of lemon, juiced (3 TBS).
- Prepare 1 cup of torn Basil leaves.
- It’s 8 slices of sourdough bread.
- Prepare 3 oz of Fontina cheese, shredded.
Potato and Spring Onion Soup Recipe is a delicious blend of green onions that have the taste of spring and when had as a soup it makes you feel refreshed. And it's good to know that the spring onions also have lots of immune-enhancing compounds to boost our good health. The Potato and Spring Onion Soup Recipe is a simple soup that is easy to make and light on the stomach too. Spring onion soup or Scallion soup recipe – creamy, thick, smooth and flavorful soup recipe made from spring onions (aka scallions, green onions) and potato.
Spring Onion Soup step by step
- Preheat broiler. In a 4-quart Dutch oven heat butter and olive oil over medium-low heat until butter is melted. Add Vidalia onion slices; stir until coated. Cover; cook 15 minutes until translucent and soft, stirring occasionally..
- Stir in leek and green onions. Cook, covered, 10 minutes more or until leeks are softened..
- Stir in peas. Add chicken broth, water, pasta, and salt. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered 5 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and basil leaves..
- Top slices of sourdough bread with fontina cheese. Arrange on a baking sheet. Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top soup with bread slices. Serve with Lemon Sour Cream Topper..
Spring onion has other names like green onion or scallion. Add potatoes and stock and season to taste with salt and pepper. Unlock the vibrant flavour of spring onions with our best-rated recipes putting this humble veg at the heart of the dish. Discover salads, Asian-inspired dishes and more. Our Spring Onion Soup is a lighter version of winter's favorite cheese-crusted French onion soup.