Recipe: Appetizing Homemade Miso Paste

Homemade Miso Paste. Red miso paste is matured longer than white so that the flavour is bolder and intense and the colour is much darker than white miso paste. This red paste is used for miso soup, noodle soup such as miso ramen, and miso nikomi udon, and for fish dishes such as Saba misoni because it will remove the fish smell. Books about Miso What is miso?

Homemade Miso Paste First, miso takes just an hour or two of active prep but needs at least six months to a year to ferment. Next, miso doesn't require a lot of technical knowledge, but technique can make or break the finished product. Lastly, miso is one of the most forgiving fermented foods, and at most you risk a little surface mold you can scrape off. You can have Homemade Miso Paste using 8 ingredients and 16 steps. Here is how you achieve it.

Ingredients of Homemade Miso Paste

  1. Prepare 500 g of soy beans.
  2. Prepare 500 g of Kouji.
  3. It’s 250 g of Salt (see note below on how to calculate the exact amount).
  4. Prepare of Tools:.
  5. You need 1 of bucket or container that can hold 3 liters.
  6. It’s 1 of sturdy and clean plastic bag that is big enough to line the bucket.
  7. It’s 1-1 1/2 kg of weight for weighing dough miso.
  8. Prepare 1 of inner lid that can fit inside the bucket – it will be used to put on top of miso to hold the weight.

My simple step-by-step instructions on How to Make Miso will guide you through this process. Once it is made, you can use the amazing fermented paste for many delicious Japanese dishes! These miso recipes go way beyond soup. Use the miso paste that has been hanging out in the back of your fridge and make noodles, stews, and more.

Homemade Miso Paste instructions

  1. You should wash soy beans, and soak soy beans about 14~24 hours. Use 4 times the amount of soy beans for the soaking water..
  2. After soaking, soybeans look like this..
  3. Boil the soybeans in plenty of water for about 4 hours..
  4. When you can easily mash a soy bean between two fingers, it's done! Next you should mash soybeans very well..
  5. The soybeans look like this after mashing..
  6. After mashing, weigh the miso so you can calculate exactly how much salt to use (next step).
  7. Add the weight of soybeans by the weight of koji (here it's 500 g). Multiply that number by 0.12, then divide by 0.88. Salt = (weight of mashed soybeans + weight of koji) x 0.12 / 0.88.
  8. Set aside 10% of the salt for sprinkling on top later on. The remaining 90% will be mixed with the koji in the next step..
  9. Mix the koji and salt well. Then mix in the mashed soybeans very well..
  10. Make miso-dama – it means miso ball! Make miso balls by tightly squeezing the mix in the palms of your hand. They should be firm and not fall apart..
  11. Put the balls in a big container lined with a clean plastic bag, and "punch" your miso down! You need to punch out the air, so make sure it's smashed into the container very well with now air pockets..
  12. Make the top of the miso level..
  13. Sprinkle with a little salt..
  14. Wrap an "inner lid" with plastic wrap and put on top of the miso paste. I used a round plastic piece the same size as my container..
  15. Put a heavy weight on top..
  16. Wrap up and close the plastic liner bag so it's inside the container. Cover the container with a lid and say good night! See you next year! It takes one year to finish fermenting, but you should check your miso after summer. If your miso smells bad, you should remove any mold and mix up miso! Smash it back down again, put the weight on and finish fermenting..

This is a good basic miso soup. I always use Shiro Miso, which is a white miso (less salty) than the Aka Miso, red miso paste. Some people also like to mix both for more bolder flavor. To whisk in the miso paste, I normally hold two spoons, with the miso paste in the first spoon and using the other spoon to mash the paste into the water. Miso is a fermented paste made with soybeans and rice or barley that's known for its umami flavor, the so-called fifth taste.