(Hotter Than It Looks) Thai Curry Base.
You can have (Hotter Than It Looks) Thai Curry Base using 14 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of (Hotter Than It Looks) Thai Curry Base
- You need 1/4 of yellow onion, finely minced.
- You need 1/4 cup of very finely chopped cilantro and/or basil (This is a great use for all those stems!).
- Prepare 2 Tablespoons of finely minced ginger.
- You need 2 Tablespoons of finely minced garlic.
- You need 3 of serrano chilies, finely minced (Thai bird chilies are ideal and Chiles de arbol would also work well here.).
- You need 1 Tablespoon of crushed red chili flakes (like the kind you use on pizza and pasta).
- You need of the zest of 1 lime (or 3 kaffir lime leaves finely julienned).
- You need 2 Tablespoons of oil.
- Prepare 1-2 teaspoons of curry powder, depending on how strong a curry flavor you prefer.
- It’s 1 Tablespoon of fish sauce.
- You need 1 Tablespoon of lime juice.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of kosher salt.
- You need 1 teaspoon of sugar.
- It’s 1 can of coconut milk (they're usually somewhere between 13 and 15 ounces).
(Hotter Than It Looks) Thai Curry Base step by step
- In a preheated medium high pan, saute the aromatics – onion, garlic, ginger, chilies, chili flakes, and lime zest – in the 2 Tablespoons of oil until the onions are translucent. Add the curry powder, stir to incorporate, and let the curry bloom for a minute or so..
- Add the remainder of the ingredients and stir to incorporate thoroughly, turn the heat up to high, and bring the curry to an active boil for a minute..
- Add in your protein and veg and bring the curry back up to a boil for a minute or so, turn the heat down to medium high, and let it simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes, or until your protein is cooked through. Bite sized pieces of seafood will take no time at all (3 to 5 minutes), white meat chicken a little bit longer (5 to 7 minutes), and dark meat yet longer (7 to 10 minutes)..
- Give it a stir, adjust the seasoning if needed – a little more salt or fish sauce if you want it saltier, a little more lime juice if you like extra tang, maybe a pinch more of sugar to round out all the flavors – simmer another minute or two, and that's it! Serve with steamed rice..
- For the curry in this pic I used: 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined (I used 31/40 size), 1/2 pound button or crimini mushrooms, 1/2 pound snow peas, 1/2 red bell pepper cut into 1/4-inch strips, and an 8 oz can (the short one) of bamboo shoots, drained. But you can of course use whatever veg you like and have handy, following the general measurement guidelines of 1 pound of protein and 1 pound of veg for 4 servings..
- Enjoy! :).