Tofu Shiitake Mushrooms Vegan Bao Buns (Chinese Steamed Buns). Shiitake Mushroom Vegan Bao Buns Fluffy steamed buns are slathered in hoisin sauce and stuffed with tender shiitake mushrooms in sweet and savory garlic sauce, quick pickled veggies and crunchy peanuts to make these scrumptious vegan bao buns! For the Dough: Mixed together warm water, yeast, and sugar. While waiting for the yeast mixture activated.
Vegan/Vegetarian-Chinese Vegetables Steamed Bun, Bao or Baozi. cabbage, napa cabbage, shiitake mushroom, cilantro, onion,carrot, celery and firm tofu, sesame oil, a pinch of salt and black . Make the steamed buns: In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the water and active dry yeast. Take the steamer off the water, but do not peak inside yet. You can cook Tofu Shiitake Mushrooms Vegan Bao Buns (Chinese Steamed Buns) using 22 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Tofu Shiitake Mushrooms Vegan Bao Buns (Chinese Steamed Buns)
- Prepare of For the Buns:.
- Prepare 3 cups of all purpose flour.
- Prepare 1 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 1 tsp of baking powder.
- You need 1 tbsp of or more sugar.
- Prepare 1 of and 1/2 tsp active dry yeasts.
- Prepare 1 cup of warm water.
- It’s 1 of and 1/2 tbsp vegetables oil.
- It’s of For the vegan tofu shiitake mushroom filling:.
- You need 1/2 of tofu from 1 packaged firm tofu (shredded or cut tiny in cubed).
- You need 8-10 of Shiitake mushrooms (dry or fresh. I used the dry one).
- Prepare 2 tbsp of hoisin sauce (you can put more or less, as you like).
- It’s to taste of Soy sauce.
- You need 1 tbsp of or more sugar (this filling is little bit sweet).
- Prepare of Sriracha (optional).
- It’s 1 tsp of lime juice.
- It’s of Oil.
- It’s of For serving:.
- It’s of Shredded purple cabbage (optional).
- You need of Carrot pickles (optional).
- You need of Chopped Cilantro/basil (I skipped it, because I don’t have them in hand).
- You need of Chopped green onion.
If using tofu instead of mushrooms, drain and pat it dry with paper towels. Dice it into a similar size dice. In a large bowl, whisk together the rest of the sugar, flour, and salt. A bao bun or steamed bun or baozi (包子) is a soft round bun traditionally filled with BBQ pork or meats.
Tofu Shiitake Mushrooms Vegan Bao Buns (Chinese Steamed Buns) instructions
- For the Dough: Mixed together warm water, yeast, and sugar. Stirring well then let it sit for about 10-15 minutes..
- While waiting for the yeast mixture activated. Let’s prepare the dry ingredients. In a mixing bowl or stand mixer add and stir all the dry ingredients. Then add the oil and yeast mixture. Knead at low speed until the dough comes together, soft but not sticky. Continue knead until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl and is soft and smooth..
- Transfer the dough to lightly greased bowl and covers with a plastic wrap. Let it rise in warm and draft-free place for about 1 hour or until doubled in size..
- While waiting for the dough rises, let’s start making the filling. Coat the bottom of the skillet with oil in a medium heat..
- When the oil is hot place the shredded tofu, cook them until it turns golden brown. Set asides. Add a little bit oil in the skillet then sautéed the mushroom until just brown. Then add the tofu back into skillet and mix it up. Add the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, sriracha, and sugar. Combine together add the lemon juice and mix them well. Taste it before turn of the heat. Set asides..
- Now back to the dough. Once the dough has risen in double size. Divide in half. Remove half from the bowl and divide into sixth..
- Roll one of the sixth in to a ball then flatten it use your hand. Using a rolling pin to roll the ball into 3-4 inches around. Brush the top with oil, then fold in half. Then transfer to a piece parchment paper. Do the same way for the rest of the dough. You will have 12 around. Cover with cloth or plastics wrap, let it rest for 20 -30 minutes or more..
- Using the steamer (I used Bamboo steamer), transfer all the buns in the steamer. Make sure to not over crowded. Place the lid on it.Then bring the water to a boil and steam the bun for 10-12 minutes. Carefully removed the lid and take off the buns from the steamer..
- To assembly the bao buns with the filling: Carefully open buns and spread with purple cabbage the fill with the vegan filling mixture then top with the carrot pickles, and sprinkle with chopped green onion. And your bao buns are done and ready to serve. Enjoy!.
- Note: Btw, I was using only 1/2 dough because it was too much for two of us. So I placed the half dough into refrigerator. And I will make them again tomorrow since I still have the filling..
Funnily, calling these bao buns is incorrect -bao means bun, so it's like saying 'bun bun'. Traditionally they are called gua bao but as their popularity has spread so has the name bao buns. Vegetarian Chinese Steamed Buns with Bok Choy and Mushrooms 蔬菜包 – Vegan too! To most Chinese, the reunion dinner is an important Chinese tradition to celebrate the Lunar New Year's Eve. It is also known as Tuan Nian, translates from Chinese words 團年 which describes the tradition of family gathering at the reunion dinner that.