Scalloped Potatoes. Follow these tips for making tender, creamy scalloped potatoes and rich potatoes au gratin, plus find five-star recipes to try. Creamy and Crispy Scalloped Potatoes "Really wonderful and easy. Pairs great with meatloaf!" – Lori.
You'll need to put in a bit of "peeler time" to get the spuds ready for the oven, but after that it's just a long bake and a short standing period to let the sauce thicken. Place a half of the sliced potatoes in a lightly greased one quart casserole dish. Pour half of cheese sauce over potatoes. You can cook Scalloped Potatoes using 11 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Scalloped Potatoes
- You need 1 bag of baby potatoes or 2 lbs russet potatoes.
- You need 1 tsp of flour.
- You need 2 of shallots.
- You need 4 cloves of garlic.
- Prepare Dash of white wine.
- It’s 1 cup of chicken stock.
- You need 1 cup of whole milk.
- Prepare 1/8 tsp of nutmeg.
- You need of Salt and pepper.
- It’s of 3 tbsp butter, divided.
- Prepare of Cheese (blue, mozzarella, parm) to top – optional.
Repeat with second layer of potatoes and cheese sauce. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Top with some paprika for color. Creamy with a cheesy topping, scalloped potatoes can easily play side dish to almost any main course.
Scalloped Potatoes instructions
- Make the roux. Dice shallots and mince garlic. Brown butter in a medium sauce pan. Sauté shallots until translucent; add garlic and cook gently (about 2 mins). Add flour and cook, whisking, until it’s light brown..
- Make the sauce. Add splash of wine to the roux; whisk until alcohol smell has cooked off. Add half the chicken stock and whisk to incorporate. Add milk. Add nutmeg, salt and pepper. Simmer..
- Grease bottom and sides of a medium casserole pan. Thin slice potatoes. Melt 2 tbls butter in microwave. Place your first layer of potatoes (overlapping slightly) and brush with melted butter. Repeat for all the layers..
- Cover it all with your sauce. Optional: top with cheese..
- Bake covered at 350 degrees for 1h. Remove cover. Cook uncovered for 40 mins. Finish with a quick broil..
Serve scalloped potatoes with your favorite meat and watch your family fall in love. In a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. More comments that were made on our old site about this delicious recipe: Easy Scalloped Potatoes. by Sharynne (Medicine Hat, Alberta (Canada)) Instead of going to the trouble of using flour, butter and salt on stove top, I used creme of mushroom soup and sliced mushrooms between the layers of potatoe and thin sliced onion. Scalloped Potatoes Ingredients: The ingredients to make this classic scalloped potatoes recipe are pretty simple. You'll need: Yukon gold potatoes: I prefer these to Russets because of their nice creamy texture and buttery flavor.