Chicken Porridge. Chicken and Ginger Congee is one of those dishes that I start craving whenever a cold, the flu or general moodiness hits me. It is so comforting, like the fuzzy blanket I am hidden under while I type this post in my pajamas. And like the blanket, congee will warm you right through and make you feel safe and sound.
Because it's healthy and easy to digest, porridge is also commonly served to the ill, elderly, and babies. Dakjuk (닭죽, chicken porridge) is a family favorite! This chicken-flavored creamy porridge is one of the best when it comes to comfort food, especially on cold winter. You can cook Chicken Porridge using 15 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Chicken Porridge
- Prepare 150 gr of uncooked rice.
- You need 700-800 ml of chicken broth/water.
- You need 2 of bay leaves.
- It’s to taste of Chicken bouillon powder.
- You need to taste of Salt.
- Prepare to taste of White pepper powder.
- You need 300 gr of ground chicken breast.
- Prepare 2 of garlic cloves, minced.
- You need 1/2 inch of ginger, minced.
- It’s 1/2 tbs of oyster sauce.
- You need 1/2 tsp of sugar.
- Prepare to taste of salt.
- It’s to taste of Ground white pepper.
- You need 1/2 tsp of sesame oil.
- Prepare 2 tbs of cooking oil.
Porridge is very easy to make and the measurements given below are just guidelines. An Easy Chicken Rice Porridge Recipe. This Chicken Rice Porridge is a very basic one I prepared for breakfast yesterday. It is so delicious and comforting sprinkled with pepper.
Chicken Porridge step by step
- Rinse the rice and drain. Do this 2 – 3 times..
- Put the rice in a slow cooker along with chicken broth, bay leaves, chicken bouillon, salt and pepper. Stir until mixed well..
- Set the slow cooker on low then cook until the rice absorbs all the liquid. (I started cooking at 9 pm, then the next day at 9 am, I opened the lid and stir the porridge, tasted it to make sure it needs more salt or not. Then I put the lid back on and continue to cook it until 10 am).
- Heat the oil, saute the garlic and ginger until fragrant..
- Add in the ground chicken. Saute until the chicken turn white..
- Add in the oyster sauce, salt, sugar and pepper. Stir it until mixed well. Taste it. Add more seasoning if needed. Cook until no more liquid left..
- Turn the heat off. Let the chicken cool down then pour all into a food processor. Pulse a couple times to get fine texture..
- Put the chicken back in the pan. Add in the sesame oil. Stir it for a little bit on a medium heat until mixed well. Turn the heat off..
- How to serve : put the porridge in a bowl. Add the chicken and you can add other things such as youtiao (chinese doughnut/fried bread stick), roasted peanut, fried french onion/fried shallot etc and sprinkle with sliced green onion/chives. If you like it spicy like me, you can add hot sauce/chilli/sambal as much as you want..
This is a very basic homemade chicken congee directly from rice. You can use chicken broth and leftover rice to make a leftover rice stew, which is known as 汤饭 in Chinese. My favorite match with congee is pickles and Chinese Youtiao, Chinese pancake etc. Step aside chicken noodle soup, here comes the Instant Pot Chicken Congee! Congee, also known as Jook, is a rice porridge that has thousands of years of history in the Chinese culture.