Sim’s Siew Yuk.
You can cook Sim’s Siew Yuk using 3 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Sim’s Siew Yuk
- Prepare of Pork belly.
- It’s of Rock/ coarse salt.
- You need of Salt to marinate.
Sim’s Siew Yuk instructions
- Marinate pork belly with salt (not on the pork belly skin)..
- Brush a layer of vinegar on the pork belly skin and let it rest in the fridge for 1-3 days to remove water and dry the pork belly skin else it won’t crackle. (Poking of the skin is a not necessary unless coarse salt is not used).
- Wrap pork belly with aluminium foil around..
- Layer coarse salt on top of the pork belly skin. Use enough aluminium foil to wrap around the pork belly..
- At 200 c, bake the pork belly with coarse salt for around 45mins at Conventional Heating setting..
- Remove coarse salt to keep for next round. Avoid keeping salt which has mixed with the oil, then remove the foil. (Don't throw away the pork oil collected in the tray as this is epic for making other dishes ie cooking the bamboo noodles.).
- Broil (grill with fan or turbo grill) pork belly for another 15 mins (without foil) By now you should see the SY go pik pok pik pok. If not it’s means the skin was not dry enough. (Observe closely, take photos + videos for memory and sharing later as the pik pok pik pok sound will excite you, a great sense of achievement, and for some, maiden step towards MasterChef).
- Cut Siew Yuk with skin facing down..
- Savour your labour. If nice, share with neighbor. If not nice, take the exam again..