Nakji Bokkeum (Korean Spicy Octopus Stirfry).
You can have Nakji Bokkeum (Korean Spicy Octopus Stirfry) using 14 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Nakji Bokkeum (Korean Spicy Octopus Stirfry)
- You need 1 pound of baby octopus, body part cut in halves, tentacles cut into groupings of 2 or 3 (make sure they've been cleaned!).
- It’s 3-4 Tablespoons of gochugaru, depending on how hot you like your food.
- It’s 2-3 Tablespoons of sugar, depending on how sweet you like your food.
- Prepare 2 Tablespoons of fish sauce.
- It’s 1 Tablespoon of soy sauce.
- You need 2 Tablespoons of minced garlic.
- You need 1 Tablespoon of minced ginger.
- You need 1 of onion, peeled and cut into 1/4" slices on the vertically.
- You need 1 of medium carrot cut into 1/8" slices.
- It’s 2 of medium stems celery, cut into 1/8" slices diagonally.
- Prepare 1/4 of of a small head of cabbage, cut into 1/4" strips horizontally.
- Prepare 2 of king oyster mushrooms, cut into 1/4" pieces diagonally (you can sub with other kinds of mushrooms – about 1 cup total).
- Prepare of oil.
- It’s 1/4 cup of water.
Nakji Bokkeum (Korean Spicy Octopus Stirfry) step by step
- In a bowl, mix gochugaru, sugar, fish sauce, soy sauce, garlic, and ginger until it's a well incorporated paste..
- Mise en place is really important for stir fry because the cooking goes fast, and you want all your ingredients handy..
- In a large wok or saute pan, bring 2 teaspoons of oil up to high heat, then stir fry the octopus *just* until all the pieces turn opaque. Set aside in a large dish or platter. No need to salt the octopus if it hasn't been rinsed of the salt from the ocean water..
- Keeping the heat on high, preheat 1 Tablespoon of oil in your wok/saute pan, and stir fry half your veg, just until they all get a bit of sear. (If this is the batch with your onions, onions *just* starting to turn translucent is a good indication of when they're ready.) Season with just a pinch of salt and set aside with the octopus..
- Repeat Step 4 with the rest of your veg..
- Keeping the heat on high, put 2 Tablespoons oil in your wok/saute pan, and add your paste right after. Give it a good stir so the oil will lightly cook the garlic and ginger and caramelize the sugar in the paste. This should only take 15 to 20 seconds..
- Keeping the heat on high, add the octopus and veg back into the wok/saute pan along with 1/4 cup water, and toss thoroughly until all the paste/sauce is well integrated with the octopus and veg. That's it! Enjoy with a bowl of steamed rice. :).