Vegetarian Pho. Traditionally, pho is made with strips of beef, and the broth is flavored with fish sauce. To make mine vegetarian, I substituted shiitake mushrooms for the beef and used tamari (or soy sauce) instead of the fish sauce. Vegetarian Pho The national dish of Vietnam, pho is an aromatic noodle soup that's traditionally made with beef broth.
It gets its rich flavor from spices and mushrooms instead of meat. vegan / gluten free / main dish. A vegan pho recipe has been on my "to make some day" list for a long time. I got the idea from a Vietnamese restaurant just a short walk away. You can have Vegetarian Pho using 25 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Vegetarian Pho
- It’s of For the Soup.
- You need 2 of onions (peeled and halved).
- You need 7 cm of piece of ginger (peeled and quartered).
- You need 1 of cinnamon stick.
- It’s 5 of white peppercorns.
- You need 3 of star anise.
- It’s 3 of whole cloves.
- You need 1 tsp of coriander seeds.
- It’s 2 L of vegetable stock.
- You need 1 tbsp of soy sauce.
- You need 6 of carrots (peeled and coarsely chopped).
- It’s 3 of dried shiitake mushrooms.
- You need to taste of Salt.
- You need of Other Ingredients.
- You need 4-5 portions of thick dried rice noodles.
- You need 1 tbsp of vegetable oil.
- Prepare 220 g of five-spice tofu, sliced.
- Prepare of Toppings & Garnish.
- You need 400 g of broccolini (trimmed and cut into bite sized pieces).
- You need 2-3 heads of baby bok choy (washed and quartered lengthwise).
- It’s 180 g of bean sprouts.
- You need 400 g of button mushrooms (trimmed and sliced).
- It’s of Salt and white pepper.
- It’s 1 cup of Vietnamese mint.
- It’s 1 of lime (cut into wedges).
It's possible to have vegetarian pho with this broth made from soy sauce and a blend of spices like star anise and cinnamon. All that's required is a willingness to invest in making the broth. This vegan pho does not only burst with flavor, but it's also super easy to make! Welcome to soup heaven and let's get the slurping started!
Vegetarian Pho instructions
- To make a more flavourful soup, charring the onion and ginger goes a long way. Do this by simply grilling the onion and ginger until their surface is slightly blackened – take care not to overdo this and actually burn them. Once they are nicely charred, remove from the heat and set them aside..
- Dry fry the cinnamon, white peppercorns, star anise, cloves, and coriander seeds over low heat in a stockpot. Fry the herbs until fragrant..
- Once the oils in the herbs have been released, add the vegetable stock, charred onion and ginger, carrots, shiitake mushrooms, and soy sauce. Turn the heat up to high until the stock begins to boil..
- Once the stock begins to boil, reduce the heat to medium low and cover with a lid. Allow to simmer for 60-90 mins..
- When the soup is done, strain it through a wire-mesh strainer and season with salt. Keep the soup warm for later..
- Prepare the rice noodles according to packet instructions. Once cooked, drain the noodles through a sieve and rinse under running water to stop the cooking..
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium high heat. Pan fry the brocollini until tender and lightly browned. You can add some salt to season the vegetables. Do the same for the button mushrooms and baby bok choy. Set aside the toppings..
- Add the portions of noodles into their own separate bowls. Top with the pan fried vegetables, five spice tofu, and bean sprouts, then, pour over with the warm soup..
- Garnish with lime wedges and Vietnamese mint and serve hot..
This vegetarian pho is an exception, though. The broth, which picks up great flavor from the spices, a slight sweetness from the carrots, and the subtlest of charred aromas from the onion and ginger, is what truly makes this soup for me. Easy Vegan Pho Jump to Recipe Print Recipe Toasty spices and veggies are simmered in vegetable broth and ladled over silky rice noodles and crispy pan-fried tofu before being topped with hoisin sauce and fresh herbs to make this restaurant-worthy vegan pho. This vegan pho recipe will appease all your cravings for a delicious, intensely flavoured vegetarian pho. Thick slurpy rice noodles in a deliciously spiced umami broth and topped with smoky crumbled tofu, sweet frizzled onion, fresh herbs and sprouts.