Gamja Tang (Hot & Spicy Korean Potato & Pork Stew). Dried red chili pepper, fish sauce, garlic, ginger, green onion, ground black pepper, hot pepper flakes, hot pepper paste, napa cabbage, onion, perilla leaves, perilla seeds powder, pork neck bones, potato, shiitake mushrooms, soybean paste, soybean sprouts, water. Gamjatang (감자탕) is a popular Korean soup. Because gamjatang literally translates to "potato soup" (gamja = potato, tang = soup), but the highlight of the soup is actually pork.
Gamjatang (감자탕) is a spicy, hearty stew made with pork bones. Gamjatang is a wonderfully hearty and spicy Korean stew made with pork neck bones and potatoes. It's a great frugal meal that Koreans enjoyed especially during the cold season. You can cook Gamja Tang (Hot & Spicy Korean Potato & Pork Stew) using 13 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Gamja Tang (Hot & Spicy Korean Potato & Pork Stew)
- You need 1.5 pounds of boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes.
- It’s 4 cups of water and/or unsalted stock (I used half water, half unsalted chicken stock.).
- You need 1/2 of medium onion, sliced into 1/4-inch slices.
- Prepare 5 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed.
- You need 2 Tablespoons of gochujang (Korean red chili paste) You can substitute with 2 to 3 teaspoons cayenne + 1 Tablespoon paprika (unsmoked) + plus 1 Tablespoon soy sauce.
- You need 2 Tablespoons of gochugaru (Korean red chili flakes) You can substitute with 1/2 to 1 Tablespoon red chili flakes (like the kind you use for your pizza/pasta).
- You need 1 Tablespoon of soy sauce or fish sauce.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of sugar.
- You need 1.5 pounds of Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into roughly 1-inch pieces (that's about 3 medium or 4 small ones).
- Prepare 2 of medium carrots, cut into 1/3-inch thick slices on the bias.
- Prepare of optional: julienned fresh perilla leaves for garnish.
- You need of salt to adjust seasoning if needed.
- You need of optional: chopped green onion for garnish.
Gamja-tang (감자탕) or pork back-bone stew is a spicy Korean soup made from the spine or neck bones of a pig. It often contains potatoes, cellophane noodles, dried radish greens, perilla leaves, green onions, hot peppers and ground sesame seeds. Gamjatang (Kamjatang) is a traditional Korean comfort food made with pork neck bones, chili paste, and potatoes. It is rich in flavor, commonly deep orange to red in color.
Gamja Tang (Hot & Spicy Korean Potato & Pork Stew) step by step
- Place all ingredients except potatoes and carrots into a large pot, cover, and bring to a gentle boil for about two minutes over medium high heat. When the stew comes to a boil, give everything a good stir to evenly distribute and incorporate all the ingredients..
- Turn the heat down to medium low, cover again, and simmer for 20 minutes..
- Add the potatoes and carrots, cover again, and simmer for another 20 minutes..
- Give the stew another stir or two, put the lid back on askew, and continue to simmer for another 10 to 15 minutes over medium low heat. Give it a taste and adjust the salt level with salt if necessary, and that's it!.
- Serve in individual bowls or family style (as is typical for most casual Korean family meals), sprinkle with perilla and/or green onion, and enjoy with a bowl of steamed rice. If you want to save yourself some dishes, you can combine the stew and rice in one bowl, which is a totally Korean thing to do..
A spicy, hearty soup made from pork bones. It's a famous stew in Korea Gamjatang – Spicy Pork Bone Soup. We make a rich and umami stock using pork spine. Korean pork bone soup or gamjatang is a classic spicy soup loaded with tender pork and Korean spices in a rich pork broth. Today I'm sharing Korean Pork Neck Bone Stew, Gamjatang!