Braised beef shanks. I have never cooked beef shanks before. I bought some at the market just because they looked and were priced nice. All Reviews for Braised Beef Shank with Wine and Tarragon.
Skim off and discard fat from. Braised beef shanks are an easy cold weather meal. [Photographs: Daniel Gritzer]. Hefty beef shanks are braised in an ample amount of red wine with carrots and onions until the meat is tender. You can cook Braised beef shanks using 20 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Braised beef shanks
- You need 2 of bone-in beef shanks.
- You need 1 head of garlic, unpeeled and halved along it's equator.
- It’s 2 sticks of celery, cut into large chunks.
- It’s 1 of large carrot, cut into large chunks.
- You need 2 of bay leaves.
- You need 1 handful of thyme sprigs.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of whole black peppercorns.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of butter.
- It’s 1 of large onion, chopped.
- You need 2 of carrots, sliced 1/4 in thick.
- It’s 1 tbsp of tomato paste.
- You need 3 cloves of garlic, crushed and chopped.
- Prepare 1 cup of sherry.
- Prepare 1 cup of beef stock.
- You need 2 of medium waxy potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4 in slices.
- You need 1 tbsp of chopped fresh rosemary.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of chopped fresh thyme.
- You need 1 handful of green beans, halved.
- It’s 1/4 cup of capers.
- You need 1 of heap tsp constarch.
Chef Michael Mina braises beef shanks in red wine until the meat is fork-tender and the sauce is rich and silky-smooth. Braised Beef Shanks with Coconut Milk, Ginger and Cumin. A favorite Taiwanese cold appetizer, this braised beef shank recipe is perfect as a side dish as well. Growing up in Taiwan, one of my favorite snacks is this thinly sliced braised beef shank.
Braised beef shanks step by step
- Season the shanks liberally with salt and sear them with a little veg oil in a large pot on high heat. Once the shanks are browned on both sides, add enough cold water to cover. Add the halved head of garlic, celery, carrot, bay leaves, thyme sprigs and peppercorns. Cover and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to medium and simmer for 2 1/2 hours. Skim any pooled fat and gunk from the surface occasionally..
- Remove the shanks and set them aside to cool. Strain the braising liquid thorough a sieve lined with a coffee filter..
- Add the butter to a medium pot on medium-high heat. Add the onion and sliced carrots and fry 2 minutes. Add the tomato paste and chopped garlic and continue cooking another 2 minutes. Deglaze the pot with the sherry and let simmer until about 3/4 of the sherry has boiled off..
- Strip the meat and any marrow off the shanks and add it to the pot along with the strained braising liquid, beef stock, potatoes, rosemary and thyme. Let simmer for 30 minutes. Add the beans and capers and simmer for 5 minutes more..
- Make a slurry by adding a splash of water to a bowl and adding the cornstarch. Whisk until smooth. Whisk the slurry into the pot and let the stew simmer for a final 5 minutes. Add any extra salt and pepper as needed before serving..
Beef shanks are found on the leg of a cow, directly above the knee joint. This is done using a cast. Make this delicious Pressure Cooker Chinese Braised Beef Shank Recipe with homemade Chinese Master Stock 滷水汁! Traditional and incredible Chinese braised beef shank with master stock (卤牛肉). It is typically served as a cold appetizer.