Sweet Cornbread. We would like to show you a description here but the site won't allow us. Combine flour, sugar, corn meal, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Combine milk, eggs, oil and butter in small bowl and mix well.
This recipe for southern sweet cornbread has been a readers favorite for years!! You're going to love the simplicity of the recipe, and amazing outcome for this moist southern sweet cornbread! Now I know that I have many recipes for southern cornbread here on I Heart Recipes. You can have Sweet Cornbread using 12 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Sweet Cornbread
- You need 1 Cup of Corn Meal.
- You need 1 Cup of All Purpose Flour.
- It’s 1 TBS of Baking Powder.
- You need 1/2 tsp of Salt.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of Baking Soda.
- You need 2 of Eggs.
- You need 1 Cup of Buttermilk.
- You need 1/2 Cup of Milk (Whole Milk is ideal).
- You need 1/2 Cup of Melted Butter (Divided).
- Prepare 1/4 Cup of Olive or Veg Oil.
- You need 1/4 Cup of Brown Sugar.
- You need 1/4 Cup of White Sugar (Or Honey).
In a bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the oil, melted butter, honey, eggs, and milk. I took the crispy edges from Southern cornbread and the fluffy texture of Northern cornbread to make my own hybrid version of the best homemade sweet cornbread. Plus a whole lot more sugar.
Sweet Cornbread instructions
- Preheat Oven To 375° F.
- In a large bowl, mix Cornmeal, Flour, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, Salt, and Sugar..
- In another bowl mix Buttermilk, Milk, Eggs, Oil, and 1/4 Cup of Cooled Melted Butter..
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and whisk until smooth..
- Add the other 1/4 Cup Butter into a 10" Cast Iron Skillet. Place in oven to preheat skillet..
- Carefully remove skillet after about 10 minutes. Pour batter into pan and place back in oven. Cook for 20 – 25 minutes. Allow to cool and then serve..
- I like to rub some butter over the top of the Cornbread right after removing from the oven. Another delicious option is to heat 1/4 Cup of Butter & 1/4 Cup honey together in the microwave, and then brush that over the top..
Because, guys, let's be real, we are topping it with butter and honey, let's just accept the fact that it is basically a cake with some cornmeal in it. Sweet cornbread is best served warm with a little butter and honey (if desired) on top. How to make sweet cornbread muffins. You can easily turn this cornbread recipe into sweet cornbread muffins. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.