You can have Sultani Dal using 21 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Sultani Dal
- Prepare 1 cup of tuvar dal (split pigeon pea lentil), soaked for 30 minutes.
- It’s 1 tbsp of butter.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of oil.
- Prepare 1 tsp of cumin seeds.
- Prepare 2 tsp of garlic, chopped.
- Prepare 1 of onion, chopped.
- You need 10 of green cardamoms.
- It’s 10 of cloves.
- You need 2-3 of green chilies, slit.
- You need 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of red chilli powder.
- It’s to taste of salt.
- You need 3/4 cup of yogurt, beaten.
- It’s 1/2 cup of milk.
- You need 1/4 cup of cream.
- Prepare pinch of saffron mixed with 2 tbsp. milk/water.
- Prepare 2 of betel leaves.
- You need 1 of small charcoal.
- It’s 1 of dry red chilli.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of coriander leaves, chopped.
- Prepare 1 tsp of ghee.
Sultani Dal step by step
- Dry roast the cardamoms and cloves for a few seconds. When cool, grind it and keep aside. Keep the charcoal on the open flame and let it burn till it turns red..
- Pressure cook the lentils in 2 cups water, turmeric powder and red chilli powder for 4-5 whistle. Blend well with a hand blender till it is well mashed..
- Heat butter and oil in a pan. Temper with 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds and saute till it stops crackling, Add 1 tsp. garlic and saute till it changes colour..
- Add the onion and fry till light brown. Add the cooked dal, salt, yoghurt, milk and green chilies. Bring it to a boil and add the cardamom powder, saffron and cream. Mix to combine well..
- Now place the betel leaves on the cooked dal and place the leave charcoal on it. Pour a tsp. of oil over it and immediately cover with a lid for 10 minutes. This is how you will get a good smokey flavour..
- Remove the betel leaves and the charcoal. Heat ghee in a pan and temper with the remaining cumin seeds and dry red chilli. After it stops crackling, add the remaining garlic and saute till it changes colour..
- Pour this tempering on the dal and serve, garnished with coriander leaves and a drizzle of some cream..