Thalassery Mutton Biryani. How about Thalassery Mutton Dum Biryani ? Usually our sunday menu goes for pot meal…Ever since my velliyamma (aunt) handed over this recipe to me, this has been a regular visitor on our dinning. Thalassery biryani recipe with video – Thalassery biryani originated from the malabar region of Kerala and is quite popular for its unique aroma and taste that comes from the unusual variety of rice. * Thalassery Dum Biryani * Authentic Recipe.
The legend has it that the mutton biryani was introduced to the Arcot royals through their connection. Dum Mutton Biryani Recipe: A hearty mutton biryani that will amaze your guests! Biryani is a dish that nobody can ever resist. You can have Thalassery Mutton Biryani using 39 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Thalassery Mutton Biryani
- It’s of Garam Masala -.
- You need 3-4 of green cardamoms.
- Prepare 5-6 of cloves.
- You need 1 of " cinnamon stick.
- Prepare 1 of star anise.
- You need 3-4 of whole dry chillies.
- You need 1 of mace.
- You need 1 of very small piece of nutmeg.
- It’s 1/2 tsp. of cumin seeds.
- It’s 1/2 tsp. of shahjeera.
- Prepare 1 tsp. of fennel seeds.
- You need 1 tbsp. of coriander seeds.
- You need 1 tsp. of peppercorns.
- Prepare of Mutton Curry -.
- Prepare 500-600 of gms. mutton with bones, cut into desired size.
- You need 1 tsp. of turmeric powder.
- Prepare to taste of salt.
- It’s 2 tbsp. of oil.
- It’s 1 tbsp. of ghee.
- Prepare 1 of onion, chopped.
- Prepare 1 tbsp. of ginger-garlic paste.
- It’s 1 of tomato, chopped.
- Prepare 2 of green chilies, chopped.
- You need handful of coriander & mint leaves, chopped.
- You need of Rice Preparation -.
- It’s 1 of & 1 /2 cups small grain rice (preferably jeerakasala variety), soaked for 30 minutes.
- You need 1 tsp. of ghee.
- It’s 1 of " cinnamon,.
- Prepare 2 of green cardamoms.
- It’s 4 of cloves.
- It’s 1-2 of bay leaves.
- You need 1 tsp. of cumin seeds.
- You need of Garnish -.
- You need pinch of saffron soaked in 2 tbsp. milk.
- It’s 1 tbsp. of lime juice.
- It’s 1 tbsp. of ghee.
- It’s 2-3 tbsp. of coriander & mint leaves, chopped.
- You need 2 tbsp. of fried onions.
- You need 10-12 of fried cashews.
Be it a dinner party or any celebratory. I saw the recipe of Thalassery Biryani in a popular TV cookery show last week. And this Biryani is very popular in Kerala Cuisine and got its name from the Keyi family of Thalassery.! Thalassery Mutton Dum Biryani is the most popular and widely prepared in thalassery, a city on the Malabar Coast of Kerala in South India.
Thalassery Mutton Biryani step by step
- Dry roast all the ingredients for the garam masala for 1-2 minutes or till you get a nice aroma. Keep aside to cool down and then grind to a fine powder..
- Marinate the mutton with 2 tbsp. of the prepared garam masala, turmeric powder and salt overnight or for 2-3 hours..
- To prepare the rice – Heat 1 tsp. ghee and temper with cinnamon, cardamoms, cloves, bay leaves and cumin seeds. Saute for a few seconds & then add the drained rice. Stir fry for 2 minutes..
- Add 2 cups water and 1/2 tsp. salt. Pressure cook for 2 whistles..
- To prepare the mutton curry – Heat oil in a pan and fry the onions till light brown. Add the ginger-garlic paste and fry till the raw smell is gone. Add in the tomatoes and continue to fry till it is slightly mashed..
- Add the marinated mutton, green chilies, coriander & mint leaves. Mix everything well. Cover and simmer till dry..
- Add 1 cup water and cook, covered on a low flame till the mutton turns soft. Add more water if required. Alternatively you can pressure cook too..
- Once the gravy is reduced and the mutton is cooked, spread the drained rice over it..
- Garnish with the fried onions, coriander & mint leaves, saffron milk, lime juice, ghee and fried cashews..
- Cover with a tight lid or with a foil. Keep it on a hot tawa / griddle and cook on a very low flame for 10-12 minutes. Switch off the flame and let it remain covered for 20-25 minutes..
- Remove the foil and fluff it up with a fork. Serve with raita, sliced onions, fresh red / green chilies & lime wedges..
A distinctive biryani full of flavour but low on spiciness and heat. Fragrant rice and soft mutton get together in this classic Calcutta biryani dish. I made this mutton biryani last week and it turned out awesome and came close to the muslim style mutton biryani. Dont hesitate seeing the long ingredient list….just preplan and am sure any beginner. Straight from the land of Nizams, Mutton Biryani is a regal dish that does not need any special mention or patronage.