Varan (Maharashtrian Dal).
You can have Varan (Maharashtrian Dal) using 17 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Varan (Maharashtrian Dal)
- Prepare 1/2 cup of tuvar dal, soaked for 30 minutes.
- It’s 1 of onion, chopped.
- Prepare 2 of green chilies, slit.
- Prepare 1 tsp. of ginger, grated.
- You need 1/4 tsp. of methi fenugreek) seeds.
- You need 1/2 tsp. of cumin powder.
- Prepare 1 tbsp. of oil.
- You need 1/2 tsp. of cumin seeds.
- You need pinch of asafoetida.
- You need 1 tsp. of garlic, chopped.
- You need 1 sprig of curry leaves.
- You need 1/2 tsp. of turmeric powder.
- You need 1 of tomato, chopped.
- It’s to taste of salt.
- You need 1 tbsp. of lemon juice.
- You need as required of coriander leaves to garnish.
- You need as required of fried onions to garnish (opt).
Varan (Maharashtrian Dal) step by step
- Boil the tuvar dal in 1 1/4 cups water along with the onion, green chilies, ginger, methi seeds and cumin powder for 4-5 whistles..
- Heat oil in a pan and temper with cumin seeds. After it stops spluttering, add the asafoetida, curry leaves, turmeric powder and garlic..
- Saute till the garlic changes colour. Then add the tomatoes and fry till they are well mashed up. Now add the boiled dal, salt and lime juice..
- Simmer for 3-5 minutes. Serve, garnished with coriander leaves and fried onions..