Turnip Greens in Japanese Broth (kabu-ohitashi).
You can have Turnip Greens in Japanese Broth (kabu-ohitashi) using 6 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Turnip Greens in Japanese Broth (kabu-ohitashi)
- You need 1 bunch of turnip greens in good condition.
- Prepare 13-15 g of finely shaved katsuo-bushi (bonito flakes for Japanese stock) (or 2 handfuls).
- Prepare 1 Tbsp of cooking sake.
- Prepare 1/2-1 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 2 tsp of sesame oil.
- You need 2 pinches of fresh yuzu citrus zest/sliced yuzu skin.
Turnip Greens in Japanese Broth (kabu-ohitashi) step by step
- Trim turnip bulbs from greens. Wash the greens well and prepare a large pot of boiling water with a few pinches of salt..
- When the water boils, put in the greens with the thicker stalk end first, then submerge the rest of the leaves part into the pot with chopsticks..
- Cook for 30-60 seconds until the greens are bright green. Remove from boiling water and right away rinse in cold water so it stops cooking..
- Drain, and gently squeeze out extra water and then cut the leaves into 5 cm pieces. Put aside for now..
- Now let's make the Japanese dashi! You need about 13-15 grams (2 handfuls) of katsuobushi flakes. Or, if you have your own broth, just use 400 ml of that..
- Bring 400 ml water to a boil. Add the katsuobushi flakes, turn the heat to low and simmer for 3 minutes. Stop the heat and let it set for 1 minute. Lastly strain out the flakes with a strainer/colander. Now you have dashi!.
- Put the dashi back into a medium pot. Add the salt, soy sauce and sake to the pot and bring to a boil. Turn to low. Add the turnip greens from before and when it boils again, stop the heat..
- Put the greens into a large dish (or separate into everyone's bowls). Pour over some of the broth, a dash of sesame oil and if you have it, some thin slices of yuzu skin or zest. :D.