Fish Dum Biryani.
You can cook Fish Dum Biryani using 22 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Fish Dum Biryani
- You need 5-6 pieces of Rohu fish.
- It’s 1-2 of potatoes, boiled & cubed.
- You need 1 1/2 cups of rice, soaked in water for 30 minutes.
- It’s 1" of cinnamon stick.
- Prepare 2-3 of green cardamoms.
- You need 5-6 of cloves.
- It’s 1-2 of bay leaves.
- You need 3 tbsp. of oil.
- You need 1 tbsp. of ginger-garlic paste.
- You need 1 tsp. of tomato paste / 1 tomato, chopped.
- It’s 1 of onion, chopped.
- You need 1/2 tsp. of turmeric powder.
- You need 1 tbsp. of roasted coriander-cumin powder.
- It’s handful of coriander & mint leaves, chopped.
- It’s 1/2 cup of fried onions.
- Prepare 1 tbsp. of red chilli powder.
- It’s 4-5 of fresh red / green chilies, slit.
- You need 1 tsp. of rose / kewra water.
- You need 1 tsp. of garam masala powder.
- Prepare pinch of saffron soaked in 1/2 cup milk.
- It’s 1 tsp. of lime juice.
- Prepare 2-3 tbsp. of ghee.
Fish Dum Biryani instructions
- Marinate the fish and the potatoes separately with a pinch of salt and turmeric powder for 10 minutes..
- To prepare the rice – Bring sufficient water to boil along with salt, bay leaves, cinnamon, cardamoms and cloves. Add the rice and simmer till it is almost done (al dente). Drain and keep aside..
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the fish pieces on both sides till golden in colour. Drain and keep aside..
- In the same oil, fry the potatoes till light golden in colour. Drain and keep aside. In the same oil saute the onion till light brown..
- Now add the ginger-garlic paste, tomato paste and all the dry spices mixed with a little water. Fry on a medium flame till the oil separates..
- Add 1 cup water and bring it to a boil. Gently drop in the fish and cover. Simmer by carefully flipping it over halfway and till the gravy is reduced. When done, carefully remove the fish pieces and keep them separately..
- To assemble – In a heavy-bottomed broad pan add 1 tsp. oil and sprinkle some water. (This will prevent the Biryani from sticking at the bottom). Layer half of the rice first..
- Then add the gravy, fried potatoes, half of the mint-coriander leaves, half of the slit chilies and half of the fried onion. Spread the remaining rice over it, followed by the fish pieces, remaining mint-coriander leaves, chilies and fried onion..
- Drizzle the saffron milk, ghee and rose water. Cover and cook on dum for 10-12 minutes by placing the pan on a heated Tawa / griddle. When done, garnish with coriander leaves and a dash of lime. Serve with raita..
- Note- If preferred you can always increase the amount of gravy and ghee in the recipe..