Tonkatsu- classic Japanese pork cutlet. Tonkatsu is a fried Japanese pork cutlet that's usually served with a sweet and savory spiced fruit sauce. Jason and I try to penny pinch whenever we can. So when I meal plan for the week, I try my best to stick with recipes where I have most of the ingredients on hand, like this tonkatsu here.
If you're like me who loves deep-fried foods, precisely panko coated crispy foods, you will love Japanese pork cutlet called. To serve, place the pork cutlet slices over the rice. Breaded, deep fried crispy pork cutlet, Tonkatsu (Japanese Pork Schnitzel) is quite easy to make and served with sweet and spicy tonkatsu sauce. You can have Tonkatsu- classic Japanese pork cutlet using 6 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Tonkatsu- classic Japanese pork cutlet
- Prepare 1/4 of cabbage.
- It’s 1 of pork fillet (or 2-3 chicken breast, or one turkey breast).
- It’s 1 of egg.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of flour.
- You need 1 cup of panco.
- Prepare 1 cup of cooking oil (one inch in a frying pan).
I already briefed you on how to make tonkatsu (Japanese fried pork cutlet) in the Katsu-don (Pork Cutlet and Egg on Rice) recipe. Tonkatsu, or pork cutlet, is a Japanese dish of pork filet that is breaded with panko breadcrumbs and deep fried. It is traditionally served with a dark savory tonkatsu sauce and shredded green cabbage. Pork tonkatsu is often found on the menus of Japanese restaurants and is also a very popular bento.
Tonkatsu- classic Japanese pork cutlet step by step
- Chop cabbage. In a bowl mix with 1/2 teaspoon salt and leave for 15 minutes. Squeeze liquid out..
- Slice meat about 3/4 inch and sprinkle salt and pepper..
- Prepare 3 stations of flour, egg, and panco. Each piece to go through flour, egg, and panco..
- Put cooking oil about 3/4 inch in a frying pan. Cast iron pan works better. Hear the oil to 350. For frying food, temperature is very important for crispness. A cooking thermometer is very useful..
- Put 4-5 pieces of meat and fry for 2-3 minutes each side until golden brown..
- Put a few paper towel on a plate and place cooked meats so the extra oil drains. Cut one to see if the meat is thoroughly cooked..
- Serve meat with cabbage. Pour tonkatsu sauce on top. Tonkatsu sauce could be at Asian section of supermarket..
Tonkatsu (Japanese Pork Cutlet) Is a Modern Classic in Japan. Tonkatsu is a favorite Japanese food with great international appeal, thanks to the influence of Western cuisine and the use of high-quality Japanese ingredients. Enjoy it with shredded cabbage and sweet tonkatsu sauce, over. Tonkatsu is a Japanese dish that consists of a breaded, deep-fried/tempura pork cutlet. Tonkatsu is a Japanese dish made with fried pork cutlets and very crispy, served with a fruity sauce.