Chicken Afritada. Chicken Afritada or afritadang manok is a type of Filipino chicken stew with tomato based sauced. It is a simple dish that can be cooked on regular days. It is perfect for lunch and is better when eaten with warm white rice.
Some prefer to add green peas and hot dogs as well, but I prefer my chicken afritada without it. Another variation will use both pork and chicken or will use just pork. Heat oil in a large wok over medium heat; add garlic. You can cook Chicken Afritada using 11 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Chicken Afritada
- Prepare of Chicken pieces (bone in or boneless).
- It’s of Tomato sauce.
- Prepare of Onion (cut in small pcs).
- It’s of Garlic (minced and cut in bits).
- You need of Salt and pepper.
- Prepare of Paprika.
- It’s of Potatoes (cut in desired size).
- Prepare of Carrots (cut in desired size).
- You need of Red or Green Bell Peppers (cut in desired size).
- It’s of Chicken broth.
- It’s of Sugar.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Lay chicken in the skillet, skin side down. Chicken Afritada Afritada is a Filipino favorite with tender chicken cooked in a rich savory tomato-based sauce. Cooked low and slow until the oil separates from the sauce and the meat becomes fork-tender.
Chicken Afritada step by step
- Season chicken with salt, pepper and paprika..
- Sear fry in a hot pan until it turns golden brown on both sides. Set aside..
- In the same pan, saute onion and garlic..
- Put back the cooked chicken into the pan..
- Pour the tomato sauce. Add chicken broth. Mix well..
- Add a little sugar, just enough not to overpower the tomato taste..
- Add in the potatoes, carrots..
- Leave it to simmer until the potatoes and carrots softened..
- Add in the bell pepper. Let it simmer again for 5 mins..
- Serve with hot rice..
Chicken afritada is one of the many Filipino tomato based stew. In this case, it is a tomato based chicken stew. Obviously the name of the dish has some Spanish origin like many other Filipino cuisine with tomato sauce like the calderata or menudo. This is a remake recipe video for Filipino Chicken Afritada. In this episode, I will show you how to easily cook chicken afritada with hotdogs.