American Goulash. American goulash, also known as old-fashioned goulash, is the perfect economical family meal. The pasta cooks right in the sauce, so this satisfying dish can cook in just one pot. Everything cooks in the same pot, even the pasta!
American Goulash is an easy, one-pot, classic comfort food made with ground beef, tomatoes, and macaroni noodles. Enjoy year-round, and delicious leftover, this irresistible Goulash Recipe is guaranteed to win over even the pickiest eaters! American Goulash is a perfect dish to make ahead and freeze. You can have American Goulash using 14 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of American Goulash
- It’s 1 pound of ground beef.
- You need 1 of large yellow onion diced.
- You need 1 of green bell pepper diced.
- You need 2 cloves of garlic minced.
- You need 1 1/2 cups of water.
- Prepare 15 ounce of can tomato sauce.
- It’s 14.5 ounce of can diced tomatoes (I used the fire roasted flavor).
- You need 4 teaspoons of Italian seasoning.
- Prepare 1 1/2 tablespoons of Worcestershire Sauce.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of hot sauce.
- You need 1 teaspoon of garlic powder.
- You need 1 cup of elbow macaroni uncooked.
- Prepare 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt (more if needed).
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper (more if needed).
You can even freeze it in individual portions so the kids can microwave a dish after school or anytime they need a quick meal. Beef, onions, and bell peppers sauteed and baked with pasta sauce and macaroni. Goulash has variations in many cultures, but they all center around bringing families together. My grandmother's sacred recipe ticks all the must-have boxes for "hug-in-a-bowl" pasta recipes: thick tomato-sauce; zesty garlic; rich herbs; and as much cheese as I can stand.
American Goulash step by step
- In large dutch oven over medium heat brown beef, drain excess grease if needed. Add onion and bell pepper and continue to cook while stirring, until tender, about 5 minutes..
- Add all remaining ingredients except macaroni. Cover with lid and simmer 20 minutes..
- Stir in macaroni, cover with lid and simmer another 20 minutes until pasta is tender..
- Remove from heat let stand 5-10 minutes before serving..
American goulash is made with a tomato baste, ground beef, and elbow macaroni. Topped with a variety of seasoning to give it that rich, savory flavor. I actually remember eating this in elementary school. Old Fashioned Goulash – The same American goulash recipe that you grew up with. A hearty recipe that the entire family can enjoy any night of the week.