Mr. Jim's Spicy Bread & Butter Pickles.
You can cook Mr. Jim's Spicy Bread & Butter Pickles using 10 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Mr. Jim's Spicy Bread & Butter Pickles
- It’s 3 Pounds of pickling cucumbers (kirbys less than 5 inches long).
- It’s 1 of large or 2 medium onions (about a pound).
- It’s 3 Tablespoons of kosher salt.
- It’s 1 Teaspoon of celery seeds.
- Prepare 1 Teaspoon of ground turmeric.
- It’s 1 Tablespoon of yellow mustard seeds.
- You need 1/4 Teaspoon of ground allspice.
- Prepare 3 Cups of apple cider vinegar.
- It’s 2-1/2 Cups of dark brown sugar.
- It’s 1 Tablespoon of red pepper flakes.
Mr. Jim's Spicy Bread & Butter Pickles instructions
- Trim and discard the blossom ends of the cucumbers, then peel the onions and cut both into rounds that are about 1/4 inch thick. In a nonreactive bowl, toss them with the salt and then cover and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours. Drain well, rinse, and drain well again. Set the onions and cucumbers aside..
- In a nonreactive pot, combine all the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring once or twice to dissolve the brown sugar. Reduce the heat to low, simmer for 3 minutes. Pour the liquid over the cucumbers and onions. The cucumbers should be covered in the liquid..
- Allow to cook to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate or pack in jars and refrigerate..