Oven Baked Onion Rings. A sliced onion, a hot oven, and a few ingredients arranged into the classic cook's breading station are what you need to make crunchy and flavorful baked onion rings. The result is baked onion rings that are just as crispy and crunchy as their deep-fried, beer-battered counterparts. So go ahead and save the oil for the corn dogs (and the wonton poppers … and the apple fritter rings …) and preheat your oven for a healthier take on everyone's favorite savory side dish.
I add in a little smoked paprika, and it gives the onion ring a tasty smoky/sweet flavor. You just spray them with some olive oil cooking spray, and bake them in the oven. Place onion rings in a single layer on the cookie sheet. You can cook Oven Baked Onion Rings using 9 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Oven Baked Onion Rings
- You need 1 of Large Sweet Onion.
- It’s 1 tsp of Garlic Powder.
- You need 1 tsp of Onion Powder.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of Milk.
- You need 1/2 cup of Flour.
- You need 2 tsp of Paprika.
- It’s 1 1/2 tsp of Salt.
- You need 1 1/2 tsp of Sugar.
- It’s of Oil spray.
Sprinkle with salt & pepper and then serve. These baked onion rings are incredible! There is no way that you feel like you are eating healthy and low fat when you eat these. This is a slight adaptation of a Yahoo Health recipe.
Oven Baked Onion Rings step by step
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Line a baking sheet with foil..
- Slice the onion to make rings that are about 3/4 of an inch wide. Peel the skin from each ring and carefully separate the rings from each other..
- Mix the dry ingredients in a shallow dish..
- Add the milk to a small bowl.
- Take each ring and dip it in the wet mix and then the dry mix, coating them in the powder..
- Place each ring on the baking sheet Spray the rings with oil spray. You want to coat them, but not too much..
- Bake for 10 minutes. Then flip each ring and bake for another 10 minutes. Serve immediately..
I dip mine in ketchup but my husband is a purist who prefers his plain. And while the prep time can be a little long, make it a social time. I talk to everyone in the house while I make these, and then sit back. Place the onion rings in a single layer on the prepared baking sheets and spray the onion rings well with nonstick cooking spray. Remove from oven, flip the onion rings, and spray the other side with nonstick cooking spray.