Chicken Shawarma w/ White Sauce and Fluffy Yellow Rice. This flavorful Chicken Shawarma Plate with turmeric rice is easy enough for anyone to make. There is a Middle Eastern restaurant close to my work that makes the absolute best chicken shawarma plate. The thin slices of chicken are wonderfully seasoned and they pair it with a buttery turmeric rice that is spot-on.
Season the marinade to taste with kosher salt and black pepper. This combines two of my favourite Middle Eastern foods into one pot – Chicken Shawarma and Rice Pilaf. The Chicken Shawarma is the same recipe as the one I use for grilling (recipe here) with just quantities adjusted to suit using thigh cutlets cooked on the stove. You can cook Chicken Shawarma w/ White Sauce and Fluffy Yellow Rice using 24 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Chicken Shawarma w/ White Sauce and Fluffy Yellow Rice
- Prepare of Chicken Thighs *bone in, skin on preferred.
- Prepare of Olive Oil.
- Prepare of Minced Garlic.
- You need of Lemon Juice.
- You need of Cumin Powder.
- It’s of Garlic Powder.
- Prepare of Coriander Powder.
- You need of Oregano.
- Prepare of Black Pepper.
- Prepare of Salt.
- It’s of Cayenne.
- It’s of Paprika.
- It’s of Plain Yogurt.
- Prepare of Mayonnaise.
- Prepare of White Vinegar.
- You need of White Sugar.
- You need of Parsley Flakes.
- You need of Water.
- You need of Jasmine Rice.
- You need of Butter.
- You need of Turmeric.
- It’s of Adobo Seasoning.
- You need of Chicken Stock.
- It’s of Sriracha.
The rice pilaf has been adapted from Yotam Ottolenghi's Chicken with Cardamon Rice recipe from his cookbook "Jerusalem" (one of my. As a change from the normal, I sometimes love having chicken shawarma over rice as opposed to rolled up in a pita. Check it out Chicken Shawarma Rice recipe here. It is a combination of thick, Greek-style yogurt, lemon juice, finely minced or grated garlic, dill, and salt.
Chicken Shawarma w/ White Sauce and Fluffy Yellow Rice instructions
- Marinate the Chicken Thighs for 2-24 hours -1 tbsp olive oil -1 tbsp minced garlic -1 tbsp cumin powder -1 tbsp of paprika -1/2 tbsp black pepper -1/2 tbsp of salt -1/2 tbsp of coriander -1/2 tbsp of cayenne -1/2 tbsp of lemon juice -1/2 tbsp of garlic powder -1/2 tbsp of oregano.
- For the White Sauce add the following ingredients in a bowl and mix together: -4 tsbp of Mayo -2 tbsp of Plain Yogurt -1 tbsp of Water -1/2 tsp of salt -1/2 tsp of black pepper -1/2 tsp of sugar -1/2 tsp of white vinegar -1/2 tsp of lemon juice -1/2 tsp of parsley flakes.
- For the Fluffy Yellow Rice: -melt a tbsp of butter in the pot -add 2 cup rice -add tsp of cumin, turmeric, adobo seasoning, paprika -add 1/2 tsp cayenne toast rice with butter and seasonings for 2 minutes -add 2 cups chicken stock/1 cups water bring to a boil. Once boiling turn down to simmer, cover and let cook for 12 minutes..
- Preheat Oven to 350 F/ 175 C.
- Once the chicken thighs have finished marinating, fire up the grill, cast iron or just a pan on the stove. The aim is to sear/char both sides of the chicken to seal all the flavors inside the chicken. Aim for an internal temperature of around 170 F/ 76 C. After giving both side a nice sear you can place the chicken in the over for 10-15 minutes checking the internal temperature of the chicken until it is at your desired temperature..
- Cut up chicken, put on top of a bed of rice, drizzle the white sauce and some sriracha, add a side salad and ENJOY!.
All served with yellow rice and one side. Enjoy one of our beverages with your meal.. This Chicken Shawarma's name explains itself. And of course, it's top with crisp lettuce, tomatoes, onion, and white sauce.. Add the remaining toum and process until thick and fluffy.