Koshari. Comforting bowl of lentils and rice, pasta, and Koshari Recipe: Egyptian comfort bowl of lentils, rice, chickpeas, with a special tomato sauce and savory crispy onions on top! Kushari, also koshari (Egyptian Arabic: كشري, [ˈkoʃæɾi]), is Egypt's national dish and a widely popular street food. Egyptian koshari is also called koshari abu gibba.
Koshari – nutritious, yummy and no meat. Not really junk food, but it is Koshari or Kushari is a very popular Egyptian Street Food that is made with Rice, lentils and Pasta. Koshari (also spelled Koshary or Kushari) is the national dish of Egypt. You can cook Koshari using 21 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Koshari
- You need of Rice & lentil pilaf (mjaddarah):.
- You need 2 cups of Egyptian rice, soaked in water for 30 minutes and strained.
- You need 1 cup of brown lentils.
- Prepare 3 of white onions, thinly wedges.
- You need 1/2 tsp of cumin powder.
- It’s 1/4 cup of vegetable oil.
- It’s to taste of salt.
- You need of Hot boiling water.
- You need of Tomato Sauce:.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of vegetable oil.
- You need 2 of garlic cloves, crushed.
- You need 1 tsp of cumin powder.
- It’s 1 cup of tomato juice.
- It’s 1 tbsp of tomato paste.
- You need 1 cup of chickpeas, boiled.
- It’s 1 cup of elbow pasta (small sized), boiled salt & pepper to taste.
- Prepare of Daqqa (chili vinegar dressing ).
- Prepare 1/4 cup of hot water.
- It’s 2 Tbsp of vinegar or Juice of 2 lemons.
- It’s 2 cloves of garlic, crushed.
- Prepare to taste of salt.
It's served in An unusual combination, Koshari mixes lentils, macaroni noodles and rice into a single dish. Koshari, or lentils and rice, is a national Egyptian dish. Koshari – Egyptian Lentil and Rice Pasta. Koshary, koshari or kushari is one of the traditional Egyptian food.
Koshari step by step
- In a medium pot, place vegetable oil and fry wedged onions till golden and crisp. Set aside on a kitchen paper and save the frying oil aside.Place lentils in the same pot, add sufficient hot water to cover the lentils, boil till tender (you might need to add more water). Strain lentils if there was any excess water. Put them back in the pot..
- Add rice to the lentils and vegetable oil we used to fry the onions, mix all together. Add 2 ½ cups of boiling water, salt and cumin powder. Wait till the water evaporates, mix in half of the fried onions, lower down the heat and cover and leave it to cook for 20 minutes..
- Meanwhile, lets prepare the hot sauce: In a sauce pan, sauté garlic, add tomato juice, tomato paste, cumin and salt. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add chickpeas. Set aside..
- To prepare the "Daqqa" , mix all ingredients in an electric mixer. Set aside.
- Now to assemble the dish, layer the components as follows: 1) rice & lentils pilaf (mjaddarah) Elbow pasta, 2) Tomato sauce, 3) Crunchy Onions, 4) Add a dash of “daqqa” if you like to add more spiciness to your dish..
When I was down in SoCal for EQLA, I stayed in two houses. One was my bro Conor's house, and the other was my friend Blight's house. Koshari Recipe By Food Fusion (Ramzan Special). Delicious Naturally Healthy Egyptian Street Food by Koshari St, Borough Market, London. Koshari, a classic Egyptian street food, is a starch-lover's dream: Rice, pasta, and legumes are crowned with a spicy-sweet tomato sauce and creamy caramelized onions.