Salty Pirate's Red Lentil Soup.
You can cook Salty Pirate's Red Lentil Soup using 15 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Salty Pirate's Red Lentil Soup
- Prepare of Black Bean Stock.
- It’s 1 lb of Dry Black Beans.
- It’s 1 tsp of Chipotle Spice Mix.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Ground mixed Pepper Corns.
- You need of Red Lentil.
- It’s 3/4 lb of Split Red Lentils.
- You need 1 head of Red Onion.
- You need 1 head of Cured Garlic.
- You need 1 tbsp of Dark Cocoa Powder.
- You need 1 tsp of Ground Cinnamon.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Fine Sea Salt.
- You need 1 tsp of Ground Smoked Spanish Paprika.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of Ground Cayenne.
- You need 1/2 tsp of Ground Cumin.
- It’s 1/2 tbsp of Butter.
Salty Pirate's Red Lentil Soup step by step
- To create the Black Bean Stock: state with 1 lb dry black beans. I recommend against pre-soaking to capture full flavor, but pre-soak will cut time in half. Wash in cold water for 3-5 minutes, drain off (pre-soak 8-12 hours optionally at this point save water if so). Bring to a full boil in a large pot for 15 minutes, strain any foam off. Lower to a medium simmer and add ground pepper. (The beans will boil over easily so keep an eye on them). After 30-45 minutes test a bean, if it's starting to tender (fully chewable) then lower to low simmer and add salt. After about 90-120 minutes total beans should be done (will vary). Scoop out beans or pour through a civ to save boil water as stock..
- Place dry split red lentils in the hot stock and bring up to a low boil (you may need to add some additional water as needed)..
- While the lentils are boiling in a separate pan sauté chopped/diced red onion and garlic in butter (I used goats milk butter for a lighter creamy taste). Sauté until well browned and caramelized. Remove from heat..
- When lentils have been boiling for 20 minutes add sautéed garlic/onions and mix in all of the spices. Lower temp and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Stir occasionally to ensure spices infuse and no beans are sticking to the pot..