Pan Mee Soup. Pan Mee (板面) is a popular Hakka noodle dish in Malaysia, especially in central and southern part of Malaysia where most Hakka people reside. Malaysian Hand-Torn Noodles (Mee Hoon Kueh or Pan Mee). Season soup with salt and pepper (keep in mind that the meat and shrimp as well as the fried shallots and anchovies will impart more flavor into the soup).
Simple soupy flat noodles, we call it Pan Mee. The noodle is made from flour, egg, water & oil. In this video, we use only anchovies (ikan bilis) & ginger for the broth. You can cook Pan Mee Soup using 15 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Pan Mee Soup
- Prepare 500 g of minced meat.
- You need 1/2 cup of minced garlic.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of dried chilies, sliced or chopped (if using flakes, try to find some with less seeds and more chili pieces).
- It’s 1/2 cup of minced onion.
- It’s 1/2 cup of sliced shiitake mushrooms (preferably dried & soaked overnight. Reserve soaking liquid).
- Prepare 1/2 cup of dried anchovies (I prefer to grind up the anchovies using a food processor. If not available, you can replace it with some fried bacon. Please adjust salt content accordingly).
- You need 2 cups of pucuk manis (can be substituted with baby/round spinach).
- Prepare 2 of anchovy/fish bouillon cubes.
- You need 1/4 cup of vegetable oil.
- You need To taste of soy sauce.
- Prepare To taste of salt.
- You need To taste of white pepper.
- You need To taste of sugar.
- You need of Optional: eggs/tofu.
- It’s of Egg/rice noodles.
When the family wants Pan Mee, just mention about it and. Banmian (板麵) is a popular Chinese noodle dish, consisting of handmade noodles served in soup. Other types of handmade noodles include youmian (similar dough texture and taste, but thinner round noodles), or mee hoon kueh (flat and thin rectangular pieces). Rice is of central importance in Chinese culture, we have variety of simple classic rice dishes.
Pan Mee Soup step by step
- Heat 2-3 tbsp of the oil in a soup pot. Stir fry 2 tbsp of garlic until fragrant then add the minced meat and 1/2 the anchovies. Sauté until cooked then add the mushrooms. Cook for 5-6 minutes until the meat is slightly browned. Season well with soy sauce and white pepper. You can add a few tablespoons of water/the soaking liquid from the mushrooms if it gets too dry. Remove all but 1/4 cup of the mixture and set aside..
- In the pot with the remaining 1/4 cup of the mixture, add the bouillon cubes & 6 cups of water (you can also use the mushroom soaking liquid & top up water to get 6 cups). Allow the water to come to a boil and add spinach / pucuk manis. Cook for a few minutes until the color changes to a darker green, then turn off the heat and season the soup..
- In a separate pan, heat the remaining oil. It’s ok if it seems like a lot. Once hot,sauté onions and remaining anchovies and garlic until browned and slightly crispy. Add chili and sauté for a few minutes. Be prepared for the chili to make you cough! Season with soy sauce/salt/white pepper and sugar, if desired..
- To serve SOUP VERSION: you can either boil all the noodles in a separate pot and eat all immediately or ladle some of the soup into a separate smaller pot and boil them in individual servings. Boil the noodles in the soup and add an egg/some tofu to poach in once the noodles are almost done. Ladle the minced meat/chili on top as desired.
- To serve DRY version: boil the noodles separately and once cooked, immediately mix with the toppings – minced meat & chili. You can poach an egg and add it on top.
KONG PAO CHICKEN / FISH FILLET RICE. FIVE SPICES PORK ROLL WITH RICE. Pan Mee (板 麺, disebut Ban Mian) adalah masakan mi gaya Hakka berkuah stok ikan bilis yang mewah dihidangkan dengan sayur pucuk manis (atau mani chai) Kalau terjemahkan sebiji-biji namanya dari bahasa cina ia bermakna "mi yang rata diperbuat dari tepung" Ia adalah sebahagian daripada masakan masyarakat Cina di Malaysia. Doh… An authenthic Malaysian Chinese Hakka noodle, also locally known as Mee Hoon Kueh, literally translated as flat flour noodle. Similar egg noodle dish are also popular in China, Taiwan and Singapore.