Menudo. Menudo, also known as pancita ([little] gut or [little] stomach, from Spanish: Panza; "Gut/Stomach") or mole de panza ("stomach sauce"), is a traditional Mexican soup, made with cow's stomach in broth with a red chili pepper base. It shares a name with a stew from the Philippines made with pork and pork liver. Hominy, lime, onions, and oregano are used to season the broth.
Menudo is a popular "caldo", or soup, in Mexico that includes as a main component beef tripe. If you don't know what that is, it is the meat from a cow's stomach. This made it a good source of protein for the masses. You can cook Menudo using 12 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Menudo
- You need 1 pc of medium sized carrots.
- You need 1 pc of medium sized potato.
- It’s 1 pc of red bell pepper.
- It’s 1/2 kg of pork (pigue).
- Prepare 1/4 kg of pork liver.
- It’s 2 pcs of dries laurel leaves.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of pepper.
- Prepare 1 tsp of salt.
- You need 100 gms of tomato sauce.
- You need 1 pc of onion.
- Prepare 6 cloves of garlic.
- It’s 10 ml of soy sauce.
Today, there are many regional variations, but most include tripe , which are the stomachs (yes they have more than one) of ruminant animals. Pork Menudo is the number one on the list of my comfort foods and it's hard for me to last a month without trying one – literally. Some would say that I am addicted to this food while others would use the term "obsession", I just simply look at it as a necessity – a basic necessity that I cannot live without. Universal Television is developing an a hour-long, weekly competition series that will "search for and rebuild" the iconic Latin American boy band, TVLine has learned.
- Prepare the ingredients cut the pork, carrot, potato and bell pepper into cubes. Mince 3 pcs of garlic and the onion then mix it with the salt, pepper, laurel leaves and the soy sauce..
- Marinade the pork with the mixture and leave for 30mins to 1hr..
- Mince then saute the 3 remaining garlic cloves. Then add the marinated pork. Saute for 10mins..
- Add half cup of water then let it simmer until the meat becomes tender. (add water occasionally if the meat is not yet ready).
- When the meat is tender add the diced carrot, potato and bell pepper then add the tomato sauce..
- Let it simmer in low heat until the carrot and potato are ready. Serve with rice. Enjoy!.
Menudo is a classic spicy Mexican dish that is made with tripe, veal bones, and hominy soup. It is traditionally prepared as a family and is served at communal gatherings. It's also touted to be a cure for hangovers and is often served on New Year's Day or after a night of revelry. This feature is not available right now. This tripe soup is usually sold on weekends in small mom-and-pop kitchens called "Fondas", or in restaurants that specialize in Typical Mexican antojitos.