Skillet Red Beans and Rice. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high. Mash half of bean mixture in pan. A quick skillet version of red beans and rice, made with canned kidney beans, the Trinity of vegetables and cooked with instant rice.
With a protein punch from beans and turkey and carbohydrates from brown rice, this meal ranks high on the satisfying scale. It packs a boatload of nutrients in every bite. Stir in seasoning, beans, and chicken broth. You can have Skillet Red Beans and Rice using 10 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Skillet Red Beans and Rice
- You need 2 tbsp. of olive oil.
- You need 1 of small bell pepper, diced.
- It’s 1 stalk of celery, diced.
- It’s 1/2 of yellow onion, diced.
- It’s 3 cloves of garlic, minced.
- It’s 2 tsp. of Cajun seasoning.
- Prepare 12 oz. of andouille sausage, sliced.
- It’s 1 cup of long grain rice.
- You need 1 can (15 oz.) of red beans, drained and rinsed.
- Prepare 2 cups of unsalted chicken broth.
Juicy, crispy skinned chicken thighs nestled in smoky, Cajun spiced rice studded with red beans, red bell peppers and tomatoes. Easy, breezy and packed with flavor, this Cajun Chicken is weeknight dinner winning! Heat oil in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add water, beans, rice, bacon, bay leaf, thyme and black pepper to skillet.
Skillet Red Beans and Rice step by step
- Heat 1 tbsp. of the oil in a large, deep skillet with a tight fitting lid over medium heat. Once it's hot, add the sausage and cook until browned. Then remove them to a seperate plate and set it aside. Add the additional oil and the onion, peppers and celery with a big pinch of salt. Cook, stirring often, until softened, about 7-9 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook that until fragrant..
- Increase the heat to med-high. Stir the rice into the skillet with the Cajun seasoning. Let it toast up for a couple of minutes, then stir in the beans, broth and browned sausage. Let it come up to a low boil..
- Once beginning to boil, place the lid on and lower the heat down to low. Let this simmer for 10 minutes, then turn the heat off but keep the lid on an additional 5 minutes. Then fluff it with a fork and serve..
My new favorite is this Skillet Rice and Beans recipe with added kielbasa. It's a delicious twist on a classic, loaded with protein, and crazy delicious. You just can't go wrong with this combination. All my favorite things in one skillet. Heats up really well for leftovers the next day, too!