Vegan Mapo Tofu. Mapo tofu is a justly popular menu item in many Chinese restaurants It is a quickly cooked dish of braised tofu with minced pork (sometimes beef) in a bracing spicy sauce made with fermented black beans and fermented broad bean paste, along with hot red pepper and Sichuan pepper This meatless version with fresh shiitake mushrooms is completely satisfying, and surprisingly easy to make Ready in minutes, this vegan mapo tofu relies on a show-stopping sauce of fermented black beans, chili bean paste, and Sichuan peppercorns. In a wok over medium low heat, add the vegetable oil and ground Sichuan peppercorns (remember to reserve ¼ teaspoon for garnishing the dish at the end). (Note: You can use Sichuan peppercorn infused oil as a shortcut to this step.) Making Vegan Mapo Tofu Ahead Of Time. I will also make some white rice in the rice cooker so everything is ready to be serve.
This year, when she visits me, I told her my keen love for the mother style spicy tofu dish. Vegetarian, Vegan In the past I've shared a recipe for authentic Sichuan style mapo tofu, which is rich and flavorful thanks to the added ground meat. But sometimes I just want a lighter dinner with plant-based ingredients. That's why I developed this vegetarian mapo tofu recipe. You can cook Vegan Mapo Tofu using 20 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Vegan Mapo Tofu
- Prepare of For the Sauce:.
- It’s 3 tbsp. of Gochujang OR.
- You need 1 tbsp. of each Fermented Bean Paste and Fermented Chili Paste.
- You need 1 tbsp. of Mirin or other sweet cooking wine.
- Prepare 2 tbsp. of Rice Wine Vinegar.
- Prepare 2 tbsp. of Soy sauce.
- You need 1/2 cup of Vegetable or other Stock.
- You need of For the Tofu:.
- Prepare 1 tbsp. of Coconut Oil.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of minced fresh Shiitake Mushrooms OR.
- You need 1/2 cup of dried Shiitake Mushrooms, rehydrated in hot water for 10 min. and rinsed.
- You need 1/2 cup of chopped Green Onions, white and green parts separated.
- Prepare 3-4 cloves of minced Garlic.
- You need 1-2 tbsp. of minced Ginger.
- You need 2-3 of dried Chili Peppers, any variety OR.
- Prepare 2-3 tbsp. of Red Pepper Flakes.
- Prepare 1 package of Firm or Extra Firm Tofu, cut into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Prepare 1 tbsp. of Corn Starch dissolved in 1-2 tbsp. water.
- It’s 1/2 tbsp. of Sesame Oil (optional).
- You need 1-2 tbsp. of Sesame or Caraway Seeds for garnish (optional).
Heat oil over high heat until lightly smoking. Add garlic, ginger, scallion whites, chives, and yacai (if using). Be the first to review this recipe. This is an authentic Sichuan style mapo tofu which is both spicy and aromatic.
Vegan Mapo Tofu step by step
- Bring 3-4 cups of water to a simmer over medium-high heat. Slide in the chopped tofu and simmer for 10 minutes..
- Whisk together the sauce ingredients and set aside..
- While the tofu cooks, sauté the garlic, ginger, and the whites of the onions over medium-high heat until fragrant (1-2 minutes)..
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and continue cooking until soft..
- Once the mushrooms are done, add the sauce mixture to the pan and bring to a simmer..
- Strain the poached tofu and gently fold it into the sauce..
- Bring the sauce to a boil, stirring frequently to prevent burning..
- Gently stir in the corn starch and sesame oil, and cook until the sauce becomes thick and shiny (3-5 minutes)..
- Serve over white rice or plain greek yogurt..
- Granish with the green parts of the onions, and sesame or caraway seeds (optional)..
Our version of vegetarian mapo tofu is bold in flavor, with a balanced spiciness. We started with cubed soft tofu, poached gently in salted water to help the cubes stay intact in the braise. For the sauce base, we used plenty of ginger and. Vegan Mapo Tofu With loads of aromatics and mushroom ground "meat" in the red hot sauce, this vegan With creamy blocks of tofu smothered in a fragrant, spicy sauce made from ground mushrooms, this Vegan Mapo Tofu is just as comforting and flavorful as the original. Mapo Tofu is among the best-known dishes from Sichuan cuisine.