Pork Shepherd Pie (with Italian flair). Of all the shepherd's pie recipes I've tried through the years, this version is my favorite. Although I live alone, I enjoy cooking and Shepherds Pie cannot be made with pork. Cottage pie if you must, but shepherds Pie is LAMB.
The Italian sausage goes so well with mashed potatoes, and both get a new twist served in a crust and cut into wedges. My family is always glad to see me preparing this dish. —Cindy Gage, Blair, Nebraska. Shepherd's pie is normally made with ground beef, but I figured that pulled pork would work well and give the dish a nice BBQ flavor. You can have Pork Shepherd Pie (with Italian flair) using 6 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Pork Shepherd Pie (with Italian flair)
- You need 1 lb of ground pork.
- Prepare 1 of onion, sliced or chopped.
- It’s 1 pinch of Italian seasoning.
- It’s 29 oz of jar of mixed veggies.
- You need 2 envelope of mashed potatoes (i used Idahoan baby reds).
- Prepare 8 oz of grated cheese (i used Italian blend).
Top with mashed potatoes and grated cheese. This meal is total comfort food with the. Shepherd's Pie is one of those foods that brings a smile to everyone's face – especially when you get seconds! A deeply savoury lamb and vegetable filling topped with creamy mashed potato and a golden cheese crust, it's straightforward to make and is brilliant for.
Pork Shepherd Pie (with Italian flair) step by step
- Preheat oven to 300°F..
- Cook onion and pork and Italian seasoning on med heat until onions are soft and pork is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Drain..
- Drain mixed veggies and add to meat mixture. Cook on med heat until veggies are hot..
- Prepare mashed potatoes according to directions on package..
- Pour meat mixture into round casserole pan, or square, as you desire..
- Put mashed potatoes in and spread and level them out..
- Sprinkle Italian style shredded cheese on top..
- Cook at 300°F in the oven for 10-20 minutes or until cheese starts to melt and become golden brown..
This vegetarian mushroom and lentil shepherds pie is as flavorful as Julia Child's Beef bourguignon with half the fat and half the cost. This vegetarian shepherds pie is like… a weeknight life savor. It's loaded with vegetables, low carb and makes an incredibly cozy. Shepherd's pie is traditionally made with lamb. However, I used ground beef in this recipe because my family prefers it, and it is easier for me to find.