Ayam Rendang / Chicken Rendang. Here I have just the perfect chicken rendang recipe for you. Rendang originated from Indonesia but they are very popular and well loved by many in Malaysia. Chicken rendang is slow cooked and stewed in the rendang sauce and my chicken rendang recipe yields flavorful and tender chicken, with complex structure of flavors, with the intense aroma of the exotic spices.
Traditional Chicken Rendang Recipe: A Dry Curry Dish With Incredible Flavour. Rendang is a dry type of curry. Traditional Malaysian Chicken Rendang is a version of dry chicken curry dish and is one of the specialties in Malaysian cooking. You can cook Ayam Rendang / Chicken Rendang using 19 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Ayam Rendang / Chicken Rendang
- Prepare 2 of Red Onions (bawang merah).
- Prepare 3 cloves of Garlic (bawang putih).
- It’s 3 of chopped Lemongrass (serai).
- Prepare 2 inches of Ginger (halia).
- Prepare 2 inches of Galangal (lengkuas).
- It’s 3 inches of Turmeric (kunyit hidup).
- Prepare of In the pan.
- You need 3 tbsp of Chilli Paste (cili giling).
- It’s 1/2 tbsp of Fennel Powder (jintan manis).
- Prepare 1/2 tbsp of Coriander Powder (ketumbar).
- You need 1/2 tbsp of Cumin Powder (jintan putih).
- It’s 2 tbsp of Kerisik.
- It’s 1 cup of Coconut Milk (santan).
- You need 1 of whole Chicken (ayam).
- You need 1/3 of Palm Sugar or 2 tbsp Sugar.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Salt.
- You need 1 tsp of Tamarind (asam jawa).
- Prepare Leaf of Turmeric (daun kunyit).
- You need Leaf of Kaffir Lime (daun limau purut).
This Chicken Rendang is so rich in flavours and spices that you will never have enough once it's cooked. Ingredients for Rendang Ayam (Indonesian Chicken Rendang) Where is the origin of rendang? Rendang is the most distinguished dish of the Minang people, and the people of Minang has existed since long before either Indonesia or Malaysia becomes a country. Once you have all the ingredients ready, cooking chicken rendang is quite straightforward.
Ayam Rendang / Chicken Rendang instructions
- Add some water to the blender. Blend the first section of ingredients..
- Add the blended ingredients, chilli paste, the powders, kerisik, palm sugar, & tamarind.
- Cook for a bit, then add chicken.
- Pour in the coconut milk, mix, & let cook for a while.
- Add the leaves.
- Cook until the oil separates/floats to the top (pecah minyak).
Transfer the rendang paste to the pan with some cooking oil. Saute over low heat until it turns aromatic. It will take some time because we have added some water to blend the spices. This Chicken Rendang dish is a version of dry chicken curry & is so rich in flavours and spices. It is one of the specialties in Malaysian cooking.