Tapas Patatas Bravas with Spicy Tomato Sauce. Patatas bravas with tomato-red pepper sauce Source Patatas bravas are a staple of tapas bars, and for good reason! No matter where you are from or what you grew up eating, it's hard to argue with a crispy fried potato and a good tomato-based dipping sauce.
This classic, cheap tapa is a simple combination of fried potatoes and salsa brava: a bright red, slightly spicy condiment that elevates it to the next level. Learn how to make it at home with this Spanish bravas sauce recipe! Add the garlic, chopped tomatoes, tomato purée, sweet paprika, chilli powder, sugar and a pinch of salt, then bring to the boil, stirring occasionally. You can cook Tapas Patatas Bravas with Spicy Tomato Sauce using 12 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Tapas Patatas Bravas with Spicy Tomato Sauce
- It’s 4 medium of Potatoes (a firm variety; I use new potatoes).
- You need 1 small of Onion (chopped).
- Prepare 1 of Canned tomatoes (discard the liquid).
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Tomato purée.
- Prepare 2 tsp of Cumin powder.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Paprika powder.
- It’s 1 of Red chili pepper (chopped).
- It’s 1 clove of Minced garlic.
- It’s 1 pinch of Sugar (If the canned tomatoes are tart).
- Prepare 3 tbsp of + 1 tablespoon Olive oil.
- Prepare 1 dash of Salt, black pepper.
- Prepare 1 dash of Finely chopped parsley.
Learn how to make a Patatas Bravas recipe! Oh you guys, I am IN LOVE with smoked paprika right now, I want to put it in everything. Baked crispy potato wedges topped with a spicy tomato sauce. Keep vegan by omitting aioli and cheese.
Tapas Patatas Bravas with Spicy Tomato Sauce step by step
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a pan. Add the garlic and chili pepper and stir-fry until fragrant. Add the onion and stir-fry until translucent..
- Add the tomato puree to the pan from Step 1 and stir-fry for about 1 minute. Add the canned tomatoes and cook uncovered over medium heat until the liquid is almost gone. Add the spices and then sugar, salt, and black pepper..
- Peel the potatoes and cut into bite-size pieces. Boil just until the potatoes soften (you could also microwave). Drain well in a strainer..
- Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a frying pan and add the potatoes. Cook over high heat, flipping often until crispy (it won't take long). Lightly season with salt and black pepper..
- Arrange the potatoes on a plate and pour the sauce over. Sprinkle with parsley and enjoy. Use a toothpick to pick up the potatoes and gobble them up..
- If you aren't worried about calories, you could pick the potatoes with a toothpick → dip in the tomato sauce → dip in garlic mayonnaise. They're delicious like this too..
These crispy potato wedges served with a spicy tomato based salsa, or Patatas Bravas as they are more generally known, are perhaps one of the best known tapas in Spain and can be found on the menu of almost any tapería around the country. Made with tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, paprika and chilli, Salsa Brava is one of Spain's most famous. Patatas Bravas (Spanish Fried Potatoes with spicy Tomato Sauce) is a traditional Spanish tapas classic dish. Essentially a fried potatoes in a warm and spicy tomato sauce, it is one of the popular dish that has traveled all over the globe. As with any dish, there are many variations to this.