Cherry Rhubarb Cream Cheese Shortbread Dessert Bars.
You can have Cherry Rhubarb Cream Cheese Shortbread Dessert Bars using 23 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Cherry Rhubarb Cream Cheese Shortbread Dessert Bars
- Prepare of For the rhubarb puree.
- It’s 3 cups of chopped rhubarb.
- It’s 1/2 cup of sugar.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of water.
- It’s of For the cream cheese shortbread.
- It’s 5 oz of low-fat cream cheese.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of unsalted butter.
- You need 2/3 cup of sugar.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Prepare 1 1/3 cups of flour.
- You need of For the rhubarb curd.
- Prepare 4 of eggs.
- It’s 3/4 cup of sugar.
- It’s 1 cup of rhubarb puree.
- Prepare 1/2 can of pitted, dark, sweet, cherries in heavy syrup chopped.
- It’s 1/3 cup of brown sugar.
- Prepare of red dye.
- You need 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract.
- You need 3 tablespoons of lemon juice.
- You need of zest of 1 lemon.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of flour.
Cherry Rhubarb Cream Cheese Shortbread Dessert Bars instructions
- Opt for thinner, red rhubarb stalks — When choosing your rhubarb from the store or farmers market, go for the stalks that are mostly red and thinner. These stalks will be sweeter than the thick green ones..
- In a medium pot, combine chopped rhubarb, sugar, and water and heat over medium heat for 10-12 minutes, or until the rhubarb is completely broken down. Transfer mixture to a blender and puree until smooth. Set aside..
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9×13 baking dish with parchment paper and set aside. In a standing mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, cream the butter, cream cheese, sugar, salt and vanilla extract until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Turn mixer to low speed and incorporate flour. Press dough firmly onto the bottom of the baking dish, spreading evenly to the edges. Bake for 15 minutes..
- While the shortbread is cooking, make the rhubarb curd! In a large bowl, whisk all ingredients except for the flour. Here is also where I added the cherries and brown sugar. Use as much red dye as you’d like, and remember that the color will fade a bit during cooking. Once mixed, whisk in the flour..
- Pour the rhubarb curd on top of the cream cheese shortbread, then bake for an additional 20 minutes to set the rhubarb..
- Cool bars for at least 4 hours in fridge..
- Then cut and top with powdered sugar! Serve & Enjoy!.