Nan's Onion Jam. This easy-to-make sweet-tart onion jam is great with roasted meats and poultry, grilled salmon and Make Ahead. This savory sweet caramelized onion jam recipe is a great way to preserve onions from the garden. Heat vegetable oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat.
Remove mixture from heat, and allow to cool. This Bacon Onion Jam Recipe is perfect for topping off your pork tenderloin sliders. We Southerners know our jams—blueberry, strawberry, blackberry, fig—if there's a succulent fruit or berry out there. You can have Nan's Onion Jam using 7 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Nan's Onion Jam
- It’s 3 of lg. Onions, sliced or diced (white or yellow).
- Prepare 4 T. of Olive oil.
- You need 1/2 c. of Dark brown sugar.
- It’s 5 T. of Balsamic vinegar.
- It’s 1-1/2 T. of Worcestershire sauce.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp. of Salt.
- Prepare to taste of Pepper,.
Caramelized onions are combined with balsamic vinegar and vegetable broth to make a wonderful Bacon-Onion Jam: Omit the olive oil. Red Onion Jam with Wine, Honey and ThymeNerds with Knives. Balsamic Onion Jam With a Bacon VariationThe Spruce. Part of the series: Food Creations.
Nan's Onion Jam instructions
- In large skillet over medium-high heat, cook onions in olive oil, uncovered, stirring occasionally. The more caramelized brown you get them, the better the flavor will be. This will take 45-60 minutes..
- I was in a hurry, so I didn't really get these onions caramelized, but it'll still be good. Stir in remaining ingredients..
- Continue cooking, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 35-45 minutes until the liquid reduces significantly and becomes a syrupy consistency..
- Cool completely and store, covered, in refrigerator..
- NOTE: I'm a balsamic vinegar junkie and buy the expensive premium balsamics at a specialty store. BUT, for onion jam I use regular, grocery store balsamic vinegar. I've also made this substituting red wine vinegar, and it's also very good..
Making onion jam doesn't have to be a long, drawn out process. Learn how to make onion jam with. A great onion and bacon jam recipe plus delicious serving suggestion. So easy to make and it has so much flavor because of The Ultimate Onion Jam Recipe. Increase the heat to medium high, add the beer, allow it to cook for about a minute, then add the water, a good pinch of salt, brown.