Croque monsieur with cardamon béchamel. Spread bread slices with béchamel, dividing evenly and extending all the way to the edges. The names croque monsieur and croque madame translate to "mister" and "mistress" crunch. Lay all of your bread slices on the counter and spread a thin layer of béchamel sauce on each slice.
On a slice of white bread, place a slice of Emmental cheese. Trim the cheese along the edge of the bread slice. Béchamel, like bacon, makes everything better. You can have Croque monsieur with cardamon béchamel using 6 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Croque monsieur with cardamon béchamel
- Prepare of Bread (any kind).
- It’s 1 cup of milk.
- It’s of Cardamom seeds.
- It’s of Ham (preferably not smoked).
- It’s of Grated Cheese (anything can do but emmental is recommended).
- You need 1 tablespoon of flour.
So it's no wonder that the sandwich of ham and cheese smothered in béchamel sauce that the French call a Croque Monsieur* is so damn delicious. To be honest, a croque monsieur is probably best eaten while seated at a Parisian café reading Sartre and smoking a Gitane cigarette. See great recipes for Croque monsieur with cardamon béchamel too! The traditional way to serve Croque Monsieur is with a béchamel sauce.
Croque monsieur with cardamon béchamel instructions
- Preheat your oven to 175 Celsius. Slice the bread. You can also use sliced bread or bread that has gone hard since the béchamel will soften it..
- In a pot at medium head, add the milk, flour, cardamom seeds, salt and pepper. Slowly heat carefully until mixture has changed to a thicker consistency..
- Place bread on an oven proof dish and pour béchamel on top. Add ham and the cheese and cook for 10-15 minutes or until cheese has completely melted..
Bechamel sauce is a mild, sauce that is delicious. In a medium saucepan, melt butter oven medium heat, then stir in flour to make roux. Slowly whisk in milk; add herbs and garlic. Stir in half of the cheeses with lemon zest, nutmeg/ cardamom (if using) and salt. Spread béchamel on all both sides of each slice of bread.