Low-Carb Tamales. These Low Carb Pork Tamales Verde were so ridiculously tasty! They are grain free, gluten free, corn free and low carb with a paleo version. A tempting but healthy tamale dough that was much easier to make than regular tamales.
Add the melted butter, cream, and eggs to a mixing bowl and whisk to combine. As you can imagine, a dish with a corn-based dough is a bit difficult to make low carb, but after a couple of tries, I present to you these low carb pepper jack chicken tamales. At least you can shake shake shake your booty while making some delicious low carb chicken tamales. You can have Low-Carb Tamales using 24 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Low-Carb Tamales
- You need of Tamale dough.
- Prepare 1-1/2 cup of almond flour.
- Prepare 1-1/2 cup of coconut flour.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of chicken broth.
- You need 1 teaspoon of ground paprika.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of granulated garlic powder.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of granulated onion powder.
- You need 3 tablespoons of lard.
- It’s 1-2 tablespoons of water.
- It’s of Filling.
- Prepare 1 pound of chicken breast.
- You need 2 teaspoons of ground paprika.
- You need 1 of large onion chopped.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of seasoned salt.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of granulated garlic powder.
- You need 1/3 teaspoon of ground black pepper.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of ground cumin.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of peanut oil.
- It’s 1 cup of water.
- You need 2 tablespoons of tomato paste.
- It’s of Wrapping.
- You need As needed of Banana leaves.
- It’s As needed of butchers twine.
These tamales swap out the traditional cornmeal filling, called masa harina, with a low carb almond flour fillng. Tamales are a staple in various Latin cultures across the Caribbean and Latin America. This low-carb casserole takes the best parts of tamales, the flavorful pulled pork, and re-creates the textures of corn masa with cauliflower and a little magic. Baked up in layers for an easy slice of nostalgia!
Low-Carb Tamales step by step
- Boil the cup of water with the chicken in it. When done pull it apart. You can also use beef.
- Heat the oil add the onions and spices. Sauté till onions are soft. Add the chicken..
- Mix the flours and the other dough ingredients..
- Add 2 tablespoons of dough to a piece of leaf..
- Add some of the filling to the center of the dough on the leaf. Fold the leaf into a package. Make sure the dough covers the filling..
- Fold again and tie the twine. Add to the steamer. Steam for 30 minutes..
- Let rest 5 minutes then serve. Remove from leaf I hope you enjoy!! I served with salsa verde..
- My leaves were tattered a bit it was hard to work with. Caused some of my Tamales to crack a bit one actually crumbled..
The perfect recipe to use up leftover pulled pork. Tamales are one of my fav. Mexican foods ever, and it's the main reason I couldn't go keto or low carb before. I couldn't give up my tacos and tamales. I am going to have to try and make this after next payday.