You can have Tamale Pie using 21 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Tamale Pie
- You need of Tamale filling.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Prepare 1 of medium onion minced.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of chili powder.
- It’s 2 of garlic cloves minced.
- Prepare 1 lb of lean ground beef.
- Prepare 15 oz of can black beans drained and rinsed.
- Prepare 14 oz of can diced tomatoes drained.
- You need 1 cup of cheddar cheese.
- It’s 2 tbsp of cilantro minced.
- It’s to taste of Salt.
- You need of Cornbread topping.
- You need 3/4 cup of flour.
- You need 3/4 cup of yellow cornmeal.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of sugar.
- Prepare 3/4 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 3/4 tsp of baking powder.
- You need 1/4 tsp of baking soda.
- It’s 3/4 cup of buttermilk.
- It’s 1 of large egg.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of melted and cooled unsalted butter.
Tamale Pie instructions
- Set oven to 450°.
- FOR THE FILLING: heat oil in a dutch oven or oven safe skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion and chili powder and heat for 5 min stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook for 30 more seconds..
- Stir in beef, beans, and tomatoes and cook for anothe 5 min. Add cheese and cilantro and season with salt..
- FOR THE CORNBREAD TOPPING: whisk flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda together in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl beat egg into buttermilk. Combine with cornmeal mixture. Add butter, stir, and dollop over filling, spread evenly..
- Bake for 12-15 min. Serve hot..