General Tso Chicken & Rice. Try Flavorful & Easy General Tso's Spicy Chicken—Where Healthy Meets Delicious! We would like to show you a description here but the site won't allow us. General Tso's Chicken was one of my favorite college days late night Chinese food delivery orders.
The dish is named after Zuo Zongtang (also romanized Tso Tsung-t'ang), a Qing dynasty statesman and military leader, although there is no recorded connection to him nor is the dish known in Hunan, Zuo's home province. General Tso's chicken is a sweet, deep-fried chicken dish that is served in North American Chinese restaurants. This healthier lightened up version is wok sautéed instead of deep fried, and made without all the added sugar used in most restaurants. You can cook General Tso Chicken & Rice using 12 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of General Tso Chicken & Rice
- You need 1 lb of chicken breast, cubed.
- You need of Oil for frying.
- You need 2 Tbsp of minced ginger.
- It’s 1/2 Tsp of red chilli flakes.
- You need 2 cloves of garlic minced.
- Prepare 3 Tbs of rice vinegar.
- It’s 3 Tbs of soy sauce.
- It’s 2 Tsp of hoisin sauce.
- You need 1/4 cup of water.
- It’s 3 Tbs of sugar.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of white flour.
- It’s 3/4 cup of jasmine rice.
The infamous General Tso's Chicken is usually the first dish that comes to mind when we try to explain the difference between authentic Chinese food and the Americanized version of Chinese food that most people in U. Indeed, very few people in China have even heard of General Tso's Chicken, let alone tried it. Buuut… General Tso's can be more than the saccharine, gloopy sauce soaked into flabby, over-breaded chicken to which we've become accustomed. This is even better than the BEST I have had in my fave Chinese restaurant.
General Tso Chicken & Rice step by step
- Toss the chicken with the quarter cup of flour and let sit while you mix the sauce ingredients..
- Put your jasmine rice in a pot with water and cook as directed on package..
- Add the rice vinegar, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, water, and sugar in a small bowl and whisk together..
- Add the chicken to a pan with the oil and fry until crispy..
- Remove chicken from the pan..
- In a small pan add a tablespoon of the oil and add the chilli flakes, ginger and garlic. Cook until you smell the garlic..
- Add the sauce mixture and stir until slightly thickens (a few minutes).
- In a large bowl add the chicken and toss with the thickened sauce..
- Serve immediately over rice..
To make the meal go quickly prep everything the day or night before and store in the fridge. To make this easy to understand I have changed the terms to cornstarch slurry and sauce. The Best Homemade General Tso's Chicken Get ready to make the best General Tso's chicken – b/c this homemade recipe rivals the best takeout!. Perfectly crispy coated chicken is tossed in a deliciously sweet and spicy sauce and served with steamed rice.