Grits and Gravy. For the grits, bring the water and milk to a boil in a pan, whisk in the grits, and then reduce the heat and cook for an hour. Season with salt and pepper and set aside. Grits are a down home, southern, stick-to-your-ribs kind of breakfast.
When the grits begin to bubble, turn the heat down to medium low and simmer. View the online menu of Narobias Grits & Gravy and other restaurants in Savannah, Georgia. Please check with the restaurant directly. You can cook Grits and Gravy using 19 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Grits and Gravy
- It’s of Grits.
- Prepare 1 cup of grits.
- Prepare 4 cups of water.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper.
- Prepare 1/2 stick of butter.
- You need of Gravy.
- You need 1 pound of chicken hearts and gizzards.
- You need 1 teaspoons of ground black pepper.
- You need 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
- You need 2 of large boiled eggs.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of ground sage.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme.
- You need To taste of salt.
- Prepare 3 leaves of bay leaves.
- Prepare 1 of large onion diced.
- It’s 1 quart of chicken broth divided.
- It’s 1/2 stick of butter.
- It’s 1/4 cup of all purpose flour.
Shrimp and Grits with Red-Eye Gravy is a fun twist on traditional Shrimp and Grits. The sauce is based on Red-Eye Gravy, another classic southern recipe that is made with coffee and served over country ham. Shrimp and Grits with Red-Eye Gravy is a super easy dish to make. First, get your grits going because they take the longest to cook.
Grits and Gravy instructions
- Heat the water for the grits. Add salt and pepper. When the water boils rapidly stir in the grits. You don't want any lumps. When the grits are done add the butter stir in and cover..
- Dice the onion and fry in the 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and spices. Add 1-1/2 pints of the broth. Clean the gizzards..
- Chop up the meat. Heat the broth. When boiling add the gizzards and hearts. Add the eggs. Remove the bay leaves..
- Cook the giblets till done. When the giblets are at your desired tenderness, then add the rest of the broth incorporate well..
- Melt the butter. When just melted add the flour making a paste. Let it cook 3 minutes stirring often. Add the giblet broth. Stirring constantly till it becomes a gravy. Simmer very low heat. Taste and adjust spices..
- Serve on top of the grits. I hope you enjoy!.
- Note the longer the giblets cook the more tender they become..
Gradually add milk to pan and whisk constantly to make a thick gravy. If too thick, add small amounts of water or milk to obtain desired consistency. Add steak back into pan with gravy so that each piece of steak if thoroughly coated with gravy. Serve steak and gravy over grits. You will need biscuits for sopping the gravy.