Vegan Shepherd's Pie. Topped with creamy, fluffy mashed potatoes. The perfect hearty entree for colder weather. Jamie's vegan shepherd's pie recipe is a warm and comforting treat; topped with a root mash and breadcrumbs this vegan shepherds pie is a real crowd pleaser.
Jaye was the one who conceived of it (he's great with the savory stuff!) and he wanted to experiment with chopping up mushrooms super fine and putting them in with the veggie mince to create a really hearty texture. This naturally vegan lentil shepherd's pie is made by baking stewed lentils and vegetables with a garlic chive mashed potato topping. My meatless shepherd's pie recipe is flavorfully made with normal, non-weird, nutritious ingredients and I hope that you and your family love it! You can have Vegan Shepherd's Pie using 16 ingredients and 23 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Vegan Shepherd's Pie
- Prepare 500 g of rinsed, 12h-soaked green&brown lentils*.
- Prepare 1500 g of water.
- It’s to taste of salt & pepper.
- Prepare 1 of large white onion ca.175g.
- Prepare 4-6 of garlic cloves ca.20g.
- You need 3-4 of carrots ca.200g.
- You need of Olive oil (or vegan butter).
- Prepare 4 sprigs of fresh thyme or 1½tsp dryied thyme.
- It’s 2420 g of diced potatoes (came from a packet of 3kg).
- You need of salted water (e.g. 2tbsp of smoked salt).
- You need 260 g of cashews.
- Prepare 340 g of water (e.g. reuse potato water).
- Prepare of herb salt.
- You need of ground pepper.
- You need of ground nutmeg.
- You need of or the equivalent in jarred precooked lentils.
The ultimate Vegan Lentil Shepherd's Pie featuring rich, flavourful, saucy lentils topped with fluffy, creamy mashed potatoes & baked until deliciously golden brown & crispy. Divide the filling into the pie dishes and top with the potatotes. Best served with tomato ketchup – as all great shepherd's pies are. Difference between Shepherd's Pie and Cottage Pie.
Vegan Shepherd's Pie instructions
- Rub 27x36cm casserole with raw garlic clove, grease with vegan butter or olive oil (a spray is easiest).
- Boil lentils in 1.5 l of water for 40min (or use 2x 660g glas jars of lentils).
- Or cook lentils w/out soaking in thermomix.
- If termomix available: add 500g lentils, tbsp veggie broth powder and 1.5l water; program 100°C for 40min reverse speed 1. Done :).
- Lentils into casserole.
- Add salt & pepper to please your taste.
- Mince garlic (in tmx at speed 7), onion, carrots (tmx 5) and sautee with thyme in olive oil (tmx varoma speed 1 for 3min).
- Add garlic etc to lentils in casserole and combine everything.
- Let heat up and simmer at low temperature.
- Grind pepper over lentils if desired.
- Peal off knobbly parts of potato. I often leave a large amount of skin on because I like it. Choose what you prefer..
- Dice potatoes and start boiling salted water in pot.
- When water is boiling add the potatoes, cover with lid and set timer for 15 minutes.
- During cooking time you will need to lessen heat so potatoes don't boil over.
- Preheat 220℃ oven.
- Potatoes need to be very soft for mashing, and if done, pour out water (keep it for making cashew cream).
- Potatoes back into pot, lid on and now blend cashews with water at highest speed for 90 seconds.
- Start mashing up potatoes, add cashew cream (depending on type of potato you might not need all of the cream) and a dab of butter. Add salt, nutmeg and pepper to your taste..
- If using separate frying pan, transfer thickened lentils to casserole. Lentils are the base layer.
- Top with mashed potatoes.
- Into oven for 10-15 minutes until mash is a bit browned at peaks.
- If lentils are a bit liquidy you can use hot-air oven, then please turn down to 200℃.
- As I have left the peal on half of the potatoes, you can see specks of it in the baked potato crust of this just out-of-the-oven delicious shepherd's pie.
I know, I didn't want to write about the name any longer, however, some people mix up Shepherd's Pie and Cottage Pie. The difference between a Shepherd's Pie and a Cottage Pie is the filling. As mentioned before, a Shepherd's Pie contains lamb, whereas a Cottage Pie contains beef. This vegan Shepherd's Pie is a hearty comfort meal perfect for the holidays. Serve this up for Thanksgiving as a delicious plant-based side dish or entree!